PDA

View Full Version : 3-Phase Power Feeder and VFD

Bill Adamsen
11-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Looking at 3/4 to 1 hp power feeders for a shaper operation, and wondering whether using a VFD (either single or 3-phase) is a reasonable option to get a wide range of variable speed. The used units I've been looking at have a narrower range of speeds than I'd like ... so just wondering if a vfd is a reasonable option.

David Kumm
11-16-2014, 1:02 PM
Bill, a VFD will give some speed range but you want to set the drum switch to a speed fairly close to what you want first. I run all three phase but generally 8 speed feeders and only use about two speeds . Most times I run cutters in the 6000 rpm range but have been known to speed them up rather than swap the gears on the feeder to slow it down more. Dave

Peter Quinn
11-16-2014, 2:33 PM
I can't imagine needing more speeds than an 8 speed feeder can provide, but you can buy an infinitely variable speed feeder in 3 phase, might be more cost effective or break even than adding a VFD to an existing feeder. If you need speeds at the lower range comatic sells a low gear set for their feeders that will drop to a lower range than the stock gears, I have one single phase feeder from grizzly for which I got the gear set, let's me crawl for operations where I need that, which are admittedly few. I may try adapting it to a BS at some point. My point is really that these feeders were designed with shaper use in mind and cover all the speed I have ever needed, so I'm wondering if you have had a practical experience or particular operation where you felt an as delivered speed was necessary but unobtainable?

Bill Adamsen
11-17-2014, 8:31 AM
... I'm wondering if you have had a practical experience or particular operation where you felt an as delivered speed was necessary but unobtainable?

I've done everything on the shaper by hand, and want to get some experience with a power feed from both a safety and consistency perspective. I have the opportunity to acquire a unit locally and inexpensively (it's a 3-phase two speed) and I'm just weighing the pros and cons of this versus just plopping down the considerably greater amount of money on a more substantial and lower risk unit. At the end of the day, I'll probably buy new, since I don't want to drill and thread holes twice.

Rod Sheridan
11-17-2014, 1:43 PM
A VFD is a geat method of controlling a 3 phase feeder speed.

Many feeders are built this way from the factory.

Go get that feeder before someone else does, once you've used a feeder you'll wonder what took you so long.

If the feeder doesn't have reverse the VFD will also provide that feature............Rod.