PDA

View Full Version : Ok, lets talk NASCAR and the chase?

Bill Huber
11-16-2014, 11:40 AM
I guess I just do not understand the new chase format.

So I am a really good driver, have a really good pit crew and have a really good car. I win every race in the season but on the last race I have a flat tire and a driver that has never won in the season wins, that driver is now the champion.

How in the world is that right, someone that has never won in the season is now the champion and after winning ever other race I am out.

I always thought that the champion was the best of the bunch in anything, football, baseball and anything else that there is competition in.

Paul McGaha
11-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Bill,

Before the chase and all, hasn't it always been like that? Consistent high finishes (something like top 5 each week) would do a driver more good than finishing 1st then last every 2 weeks?

PHM

PS- Congratulations on becoming a Moderator Bill. :)

Howard Garner
11-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Does the "best" football team always win the championship?
They just have to win the last game.
NASCAR just has a different way of narrowing the field. And the championship field is racing with others for this final race.
So we have a race within the race.

Howard Garner

Bruce Page
11-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Bill, it sounds like you're talking about Newman and he could very well end up champion without a win. LOML & I were at the Phoenix race last Sunday and it broke my heart to watch Gordon run has hard as he did, finish second, and still not make the chase.
In some ways I like the do or die format but overall I wish they would drop the chase altogether and go back to whoever has the most points at the end of the year wins.

Bill Huber
11-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Bill,

Before the chase and all, hasn't it always been like that? Consistent high finishes (something like top 5 each week) would do a driver more good than finishing 1st then last every 2 weeks?

PHM

PS- Congratulations on becoming a Moderator Bill. :)

I guess but it just doesn't seem right, if I am 2nd each race then I do have the most points and I can see that I should be the champion. But the way they are doing it now that the overall points really has nothing to do with it.

Bill Huber
11-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Does the "best" football team always win the championship?
They just have to win the last game.
NASCAR just has a different way of narrowing the field. And the championship field is racing with others for this final race.
So we have a race within the race.

Howard Garner

But they have to win enough games to get to the point they play in the Superbowl.

mike holden
11-16-2014, 1:14 PM
But they have to win enough games to get to the point they play in the Superbowl.

Yes, but every game they play has one winner and one loser. In Nascar you have one winner and 42 losers.

FWIW, I dont like the chase either, but it seems to get the best tv ratings so I had better get used to it.

David Weaver
11-16-2014, 2:56 PM
It's just a way to make sure you watch the entire season, nothing more and nothing less. I'm sure they've puzzled for decades over how to keep people watching after the season becomes irrelevant, and now they figured they'd just throw the whole idea that it's a fair system right out the window.

Whether you like it or don't like it, as long as you tune in, they (the organizers) get paid. They'd rather have 10 people who don't like it watching than 9 people who do.

Myk Rian
11-16-2014, 3:26 PM
I guess but it just doesn't seem right, if I am 2nd each race then I do have the most points and I can see that I should be the champion. But the way they are doing it now that the overall points really has nothing to do with it.
NASCAR has said all along that the format needs tweeking. It does add to the excitement, IF you are a NASCAR fan.
Normally I'm a Roush fan. But for this race, it's Newman.

Myk Rian
11-16-2014, 5:00 PM
In order to get to this level of racing, a team has to be consistent. That's what it takes to get here, without winning races. Consistency.

Jerome Stanek
11-16-2014, 6:08 PM
You mean if Danica would win the last race she would be number one

Bert Kemp
11-16-2014, 8:55 PM
No Danica would not be number 1 LOL Kevin Harvic won the Race and the Championship. I'm not a Harvic fan Matt Is my guy but Harvic deserves this he finally won it. If ya all Remember Harvic moved in to the Goodwrench Chevy after Dale Sr died in 2001.

Bruce Page
11-16-2014, 11:37 PM
You mean if Danica would win the last race she would be number one

The only way that would happen is if the other 42 drivers stayed home. Wait, did I say that out loud?

She does run pretty good at the plate races tho..

Joe Tilson
11-19-2014, 8:30 AM
It is just like pro ball of any kind and racing to cause conversations like this. They all turn out to be over paid, over pampered, cry babies. We have no interest in any of them anymore. Plus, I am so sick of listening to DW AAAAAAyyyyyyyyeeeeee!

Bruce Page
11-19-2014, 1:47 PM
It is just like pro ball of any kind and racing to cause conversations like this. They all turn out to be over paid, over pampered, cry babies. We have no interest in any of them anymore. Plus, I am so sick of listening to DW AAAAAAyyyyyyyyeeeeee!

I’ve learned to tolerate DW, it’s his brother MW that I can’t stomach.

Joe Tilson
11-20-2014, 8:47 AM
I’ve learned to tolerate DW, it’s his brother MW that I can’t stomach.

I'm with you on that one too.