PDA

View Full Version : Welding Need some help with a SIOUX 5202 Micro Polisher air tool.

Bill White
11-16-2014, 11:39 AM
I have a perfectly good Sioux 5202, but it has no chuck or collet. I've checked everywhere I know, and everyone says that there are none available.
The arbor is 5/16" X 24 tpi threads. The chuck that I do have has 3/8" X 24 tpi threads.
Anybody know where I can get an adaptor, a collet for 1/4" shafted tools, or a chuck that will fit?
I checked with a local machine shop, and they said that the cost of building/turning an adaptor would not be economically feasible.
I'd hate to trash a good tool for lack of a simple fix.
Bill

Eric DeSilva
11-16-2014, 1:50 PM
I'm surprised a machinist says it isn't worth it. I'm still learning the metal lathe, but this doesn't seem complex. I'm supposed to take a class in threading next weekend and could try to queue it up as a project if you haven't solved your issue by then. There isn't enough material to make a sleeve, so it would have to look a bit like extension. How long does the threaded shaft have to be and how deep does the threaded hole have to be? I could probably turn the shaft/threaded rod, but I don't have a 5/16 x 24 tap, so I could drill the hole, but you might have to tap it yourself...

Bill White
11-16-2014, 4:12 PM
Female 5/16" X 24 tpi at least 3/8" deep, and male 3/8" X 24 tpi X 1/2" long, with a 1/4" shoulder between the two threaded areas would b the optimum dimensions. I do not have a "bottoming" tap for the 5/16" female side, but could make one work if the drilled hole was the correct size.
A 5/8" overall diameter extension with the female on one end, and a male on the other with the shortest possible length would be the best. This would keep the chuck that I have (a Jacobs) from being too nose heavy.
I would be most grateful for your efforts.
It is hard for me to believe that there are no sites that offer these simple parts for Sioux air tools. Guess that they are dinosaurs.
If I have not made these dimensions clear, please pm or call me for further info.
662-523-9922 is my cell #.
Again, my thanks for your help.
Bill

Mel Miller
11-16-2014, 4:42 PM
A word of caution here. If you make an adapter that isn't perfectly straight, the tool will vibrate and try to tear itself apart at the kind of speeds it runs.

Eric DeSilva
11-17-2014, 9:52 AM
The lathe I work on is pretty accurate, but Mel's point is well taken--if it doesn't feel right, throw it away. I was originally thinking of mounting a rod, turning it down to 5/8ths, facing, drilling the hole for the female side, then flipping it. But I'm not sure I can get the cutting head that close to the chuck to complete it, and that isn't much for the chuck to grab and keep square. I may have to turn it down, thread it, cut it off, drill a hole in the remaining rod, tap it, screw the adapter in, then finish the other side. Both options do leave me worrying about accuracy a little.

Bill White
11-17-2014, 10:18 AM
That was one of my thoughts too. The 5202 is a variable speed tool (4 speeds), and is not reversible. I doubt that I would be using it at a speed high enough for self destruction.
I have several Sioux tools, and one is over 35 years old. Still works like a champ. Shame to see a great tool brand go away.
Hey! I have nothing now. Can't loose a lot.
Let me know if you wish to attempt the project, and thanks for your interest.
Bill