PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pin handle?

David Ragan
11-16-2014, 11:16 AM
The local mechanic gave me 4 wrist pins. I was expecting something like a push rod. How do you all fashion a handle? Just put a rod of steel thru and JB Weld?

bridger berdel
11-16-2014, 11:27 AM
I assume this is for a scraper burnisher. You don't actually need a handle, assuming it's long enough to work with. If you have a lathe a wood one would be my choice, partly for weight and partly for the feel in hand.

David Ragan
11-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Yes scraper burnisher. It is only about 3 inches long-i had not thought about holding w one hand

george wilson
11-16-2014, 1:04 PM
I'd advise making a handle. On that short a burnisher,you will likely get a panful cut trying to burnish a scraper just holding it in your hand. Sooner or later,for sure, a loud OATH will be heard emanating from your shop!:)

Jim Matthews
11-16-2014, 6:03 PM
I would mount it on a dowel rod.
I would insert the dowel rod in a wooden handle.

Epoxy should keep it from spinning.

ian maybury
11-17-2014, 5:07 AM
Length of studding to fit through the bore of the pin, two domed nuts for looks, a standard nut, three washers and a length of braid reinforced clear poly hose or similar to make a handle. All the fastenings zinc plated, and make sure the nuts don't project over the OD of the pin (or fit a washer if you are worried about getting cut)...

Jim Matthews
11-17-2014, 9:12 AM
Length of studding to fit through the bore of the pin

Whazzat?
All-thread rod?

ian maybury
11-18-2014, 5:17 PM
:) I no speaka da Americano so well Jim. We call it studding over here, or sometimes threaded rod...