PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with caps and ears under them????

Bill Huber
11-16-2014, 10:07 AM
I was kind of surfing on the TV the other night and came across some of the auto shows, you know were they get a junker and then in 2 days restore it to like new.

Anyway I noticed that a lot of the people in them had on ball caps, well that is what I have always called them. What was really funny to me is that they had their ears under the cap, like how do you do that and why would you do it?

I guess I am just getting old......

Jamie Buxton
11-16-2014, 10:44 AM
One-size-fits-all hats and small heads.

Justin Ludwig
11-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Why high heeled shoes, or knickers with flared sides, collars on shirts, etc. Fads and styles come and go and recycle. Maybe the poor fellows have dumbo ears.

Jim Matthews
11-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Remember Bell bottom jeans?
"Juicy" brand locations?

Every generation comes up with some sort of "renegade"
fashion to differentiate itself.

It's how we show that we're "different" as kids,
by dressing exactly alike.

I gather that half the kids wearing pants half way to their
knees don't know that this happens when you're incarcerated
and your belt is confiscated on intake.

Half of today's fashion is just advertising and product placement.

glenn bradley
11-16-2014, 11:03 AM
One-size-fits-all hats and small heads.

My thoughts exactly but, my generation wore their levi's 501's and keds even after there were holes in them (leather jacket optional).

Tom M King
11-16-2014, 11:19 AM
It started with the motocross crowd. Small guys will always be faster than big guys on a 190 pound bike. When small guys started winning, and they slapped sponsors hats on them on the podium, the hats couldn't be adjusted small enough not to go over their ears. I think it probably started with Ricky Carmichael, and then all the younger guys wanted to be like Ricky. It's grown from there. Even a PGA pro, who grew up with motocross, wears his sponsors hat like that.

Bill Huber
11-16-2014, 11:31 AM
I guess I understand all the different reasons but it sure looks like it would be a pain to get the cap on. Then if there is any wind it looks like the cap would blow right off.

I guess I will just go get my turtleneck sweater and shut up.....

David G Baker
11-16-2014, 12:43 PM
The thing that bothers me is the modern generation is copying gang bangers and convicts. Some of their fashions have some scary meaning to the guys in prison.

Moses Yoder
11-16-2014, 2:49 PM
I still wear an afro. I don't care what people think.

Jim Koepke
11-16-2014, 3:21 PM
Had me thinking of something completely normal with the heading.

Come this time of year my ears are usually inside my watch cap when that is worn. Some of my other caps are big enough to come down over my ears to keep them from getting frosty.

Most of the time there is a cap on my head because it looks better and costs less than a toupee.

It also prevents sunburn in the summer and freezing in the winter.

jtk

Harold Burrell
11-16-2014, 3:27 PM
I still wear an afro. I don't care what people think.

Yeah...me too. I just keep it really, really short.

Actually, I have doing a kind of "Mohawk" thing. Only in reverse.

Kent A Bathurst
11-16-2014, 5:04 PM
Yeah...me too. I just keep it really, really short.

Actually, I have doing a kind of "Mohawk" thing. Only in reverse.

I spent a few years on the beach, after the economy took me out. Not one haircut for nearly 4 years. Not as long as my hippie-days college ponty tail [waist length], but pretty impressive nonetheless.

Then, just before a 3-week trip to Pastagonia and Easter Island, I cut it all off. I was not gonna drag that mess around with me up and down the Americas.

Jamie Buxton
11-16-2014, 7:59 PM
...Pastagonia ...

Eastern Italy, right?

Andrew Joiner
11-16-2014, 8:55 PM
It started with the motocross crowd. Small guys will always be faster than big guys on a 190 pound bike. When small guys started winning, and they slapped sponsors hats on them on the podium, the hats couldn't be adjusted small enough not to go over their ears. I think it probably started with Ricky Carmichael, and then all the younger guys wanted to be like Ricky. It's grown from there. Even a PGA pro, who grew up with motocross, wears his sponsors hat like that.
Makes sense. When you go real fast you don't want your ears flapping!

Tom M King
11-16-2014, 9:24 PM
They just wear the caps when the helmet is off:p. I did a little xcross back when 5 inches of rear suspension travel was a lot. I was watching a race back when Ricky Carmichael first started winning. They slapped a cap on him on the podium, the adjuster was sticking way out to one side, and the cap still came down over his ears. I remember laughing about it with my buddies who were watching with me, and said that this was the end of full size guys winning any more. I looked for a picture online, but couldn't find one.

Garth Almgren
11-21-2014, 1:45 AM
It's been going on since at least 1991 - mostly it is because of what others have said: they don't know who is getting what hat and don't take the time to adjust them (if they're even adjustable!).

(I was in Chicago in 91 and went to a couple Bulls games - good times!)

Pat Barry
11-21-2014, 7:45 AM
Some of their fashions have some scary meaning to the guys in prison.
The hat over the ears is scary for guys in prison? I don't get it. Sem lik day got bette ting to fret abut tan tat.

Myk Rian
11-21-2014, 11:50 AM
The Vulcans and Romulans are hiding their pointy ears.

ray hampton
11-21-2014, 2:43 PM
can we buy custom-build caps ? I am lucky if I can find a cap that will be BIG enough for my head