PDA

View Full Version : universal owners

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 6:40 PM
Just purchased a used universal 4.6 versalaser and had the exchange for the laser. I am just attempting to make sure everything is working properly. No fault codes etc however the table will not rise above half way up. Not sure if it is a setting or not but I just want to do a test to make sure the laser is firing. Any universal owners that can help? I am using the UPC through universal

Keith Colson
11-15-2014, 7:56 PM
My Universal had that issue where the table would not got up. I homed the Z axis and it worked fine after that. Also if the laser thinks the cutting table is installed it will limit the rise on the table. You can check this under the system tab and see if "cutting table" is checked.

If its a new machine I would check the table for level, check and tune the focus. Check and align the rulers.

Cheers
Keith

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 8:02 PM
Hi Keith
Thanks for the response. The only thing on settings is whether to calibrate the cutting table but its not highlighted so its not recognizing that its there. How do you home the Z axis?

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 8:06 PM
I homed the z axis and the cutting table is not illuminated. Still only comes up half way. The table is leveled. Not sure why

Keith Colson
11-15-2014, 8:20 PM
So do you actually have a cutting table? This is different to the engraving table. The engraving table is a big sheet of aluminium and the cutting table is typically a honycomb that sits on top of the engraving table. My point being that if the machine thinks the cutting table is in place it will limit the rise of the engraving table by about 250mm

If you go to the diagnostics tab and look at "fixtures" what is checked?

Cheeers
Keith

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 8:28 PM
Hi Keith
No just the engraving table is checked. No cutting table. I thought that would be an easy fix but its not recognizing a cutting table

Keith Colson
11-15-2014, 8:33 PM
You didn't answer my first question. Do you have the "extra" cutting table as described above.

So when you raise the table all the way up what does the Z value say on the screen?

Cheers
Keith

Nicolas Silva
11-15-2014, 8:35 PM
turn off the auto focus. see if that has an effect.

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 8:41 PM
no i dont have it however I did buy it used. I think they may have used this thing once maybe twice. It shows -.100 as the screen value for z

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 8:42 PM
auto focus turned off no difference

Keith Colson
11-15-2014, 8:53 PM
It sounds like you don't have a cutting table, so you have an engraving table only. In this case "cutting table" will never be checked. Your table stops going up around the 0 mark which is correct. There are no coarse adjustment on Z for the engraving table (that I know of) so it sounds to me like the Z is not homing correctly. When you home Z does it travel all the way to the bottom? If Z does not home correctly the table travel could end up limited.

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 8:59 PM
hi keith
Yes when I home it the table goes to the bottom. Cutting table is not checked. The table always stops at -1.0 on the z axis

Keith Colson
11-15-2014, 9:05 PM
One other thing, if you have a 4" lens selected and the standard 2" lens fitted it will loose 2 inches of up travel.

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 9:10 PM
I have the 2 inch HDFO lens on it

Noah Grant
11-15-2014, 9:22 PM
I have the 2.0 HDFO lens on it

Keith Colson
11-16-2014, 7:06 AM
On the system tab there is button under lens type called callibrate, this will move the Z up for the engraving table, beware that you can crash the head into the table in this mode so jog it up slowly.

Cheers
Keith

Noah Grant
11-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you Keith got it!!