PDA

View Full Version : New Sticking Board

ken hatch
11-15-2014, 1:56 PM
Several months ago after tiring of cobbling together sticking boards and/or using the bench top for working thin pieces I took a couple of chunks of 19mm Baltic Birch, a Sapele off cut, and some hardware and made a useable sticking board. It had been hanging on the wall ever since.

SWMBO requested a picture frame for one of her mosaics so the sticking board finally had a chance to come off the wall this AM. It was pretty nice to use, now the question is....why did it take so long to make a good one?

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/stickingBoardD_zpsfdc9133a.jpg

BTW, I'm killing time while the hide glue warms up enough to finish the picture frame.

Jim Matthews
11-15-2014, 9:24 PM
T-Track to accomodate a range of widths?

That's clever.
kudos

ken hatch
11-16-2014, 6:52 AM
T-Track to accomodate a range of widths?

That's clever.
kudos

Thanks,

Yep, you can't see in the photo but the "stop screws" go across about 100mm and are set in brass inserts. Anything much bigger I should be able to work it on the bench with stops, holdfasts, and battens.

BTW, I had always before just cobbled together a couple of boards or just used a batten on the bench when I needed a sticking board and that works well but I expect this one will see some use and there was a bare spot on the shop wall it just fits. It's a heavy sucker, to use the T-Tracks I needed two layers of 19mm Baltic Birch, add in the 20mm hunk of Sapele and the hardware and I'll bet it is in the high 20's maybe even 30 lb. range.

ken

Jim Matthews
11-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Mine has a broader "land" but it's fixed.

I figured 4 inches was enough clearance,
and that looks about right, seeing yours.

I'm going to replace the simple screw stops in mine
with something more permanent.

Even sharpening the head of the screws, they're not
particularly secure with harder stock.