PDA

View Full Version : Seven and change for a pair

steven c newman
11-15-2014, 11:06 AM
"won" a plane for $0.99, and decided to do a "Local Pickup" got to the town, dropped off the wife at Walmart ( there goes the Beer Money) and picked up the plane. There was two Antique stores in town, hit them both.

Saw a "Made in Austrailia" block plane.....$25? Nope, went back and picked a #220 for $6 instead. So, for my spending $7.49 counting OH sales tax i brought home two planes
Ah-yep. The #4 is an "Eclipse" version of the Stanley Handyman. Type 1 Handyman, that is.
Cleaned it up, tuned it up, and tried it out
Wood is Doug-Fir. This is the $.99 item ( $1.06 counting tax) It has a newish knob, as the original was cracked. I had a walnut one handy. Iron was a bit wavy, hammered it flat, and sharpened it up. Sole was actually flat, just needed cleaned.

New knob. Now, about that little #220.

Cleaned the iron, found out this is a SW model, with the "fancy" rear knob
Cleaned it up, and gave the iron a little sharpening. Most of the black Japanning was missing on the cap iron
This was the $6.42 plane. Wife spent WAY more than I did, but we were both happy. She even bought Lunch!:D

Cheap, or, Frugal?

Jim Koepke
11-15-2014, 2:07 PM
The block plane is a good score, but I don't know about the other.

If you aren't selling some of these you might check if there is a 12 step program for you near by. :D

She even bought Lunch!:D

Now that is an idea that might get my wife to spend less if she has to buy lunch if she spends more.

jtk

Bill Houghton
11-15-2014, 2:21 PM
What kind of beer does your wife usually buy, then?

Congrats on the buys. The 220 is an under-respected plane.