PDA

View Full Version : SawStop owners how are you liking your machines?

Michael Ballent
07-15-2005, 3:57 PM
I have been looking at the SawStop for some time and I was wondering if any of you guys that have them are still liking them? Also what do you think of the fence that you can purchase through SawStop?

Per Swenson
07-15-2005, 4:29 PM
Michael,

We use ours daily.

I stand behind my original statement.

Even with out the safety feature, this is the

best North American style 10 inch table saw

manufactured today. (Below the $10,000 price range).

Cartridge switching for dado work, about a minute.

Riving knife to blade guard switch, 30 seconds.

0 runout on the arbor. Easiest saw to tune ever.

I know this by reading the instructions and looking at the

adjustments, because it was dead on out of the box

and remains so.

I cannot comment on the fence as we purchased the incra.

If the rest of the saw is a indicator, I am sure the stock fence

would be suburb. Shown is a picture of the saw with the

woodpeckers out feed table. I could not be more impressed.

And I am not impressed easily.

Per

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2005, 5:04 PM
Popular Woodworking is in the process of doing a full review of that saw. Article should be out this fall. Got to look it over in their shop and talked to the person doing the review Overall he likes the saw. Their were a couple of things he felt was wrong with it but for the life of me I can’t remember what they were. Have to Waite for the article. He did say he was working with the mfg for improvements. He liked the splitter.
Had a little different feel to it over a traditional saw in that it has a computer like device. If you happen to turn the saw off then back on right away the “computer” kinda takes a step back to figure out what to do. Just like if you turn the power off on your computer then on instead of shutting it down.

lloyd morris
07-15-2005, 5:09 PM
Per,

Thanks for your update and information. Do you have any thoughts or opinions about how easily it might be to mount an after market sliding table to the sawstop? Also how is the dust collection? Thanks again.

lloyd morris

Per Swenson
07-15-2005, 5:50 PM
Lloyd,

Yes, Ken Waag mounted a sliding table on his.

He is a member of this Forum, and a most helpful

Guy. Dust collection is fine and mandatory.

All though you are still operating with a zero clearance insert

and their inherent dust collection issues.

I sent you a PM

Per

Jay Knepper
07-16-2005, 4:38 PM
It's a truly beautiful tool. It's so finely machined that the handwheel for blade tilt will continue to spin after you stop cranking it. A dime set on edge on the top does not move during startup, making a cut, and shutdown.

As Per noted, changeovers of the brake, riving knife, and guard are very quick. It's nice to be able to take advantage of these safety devices. Like many others, I never used the guard on my previous saw.

The saw arrived in perfect adjustment and has stayed so after considerable use.

The stock fence is massive, rock solid, and precise. It makes it easy to tweak a cut by 1/64 of an inch by using the cursor.

My list of complaints:
1) Some of the screws on the fence must have had LockTite put on them before shipping. I have not been able to break the screws to adjust the left cursor on the fence.
2) The (walnut) zero clearance insert for a dado set had to be sanded a bit before it would fit.
3) Dust collection is good, but considerable dust still escapes above the table.

Michael Ballent
07-16-2005, 5:11 PM
Per and Jay,
Thanks for the update, and especially the quick review of the fence. I think that the odds are pretty good that financing will be around so that I can get the SawStop so I figured that I would ask here how their machines are going. So far is appears that it is living up the expectations and I think that in some cases it is exceeding expectations. I cannot believe that the saws are still in alignment... Very cool. :D

Anyone else out there with an update on the saw?