PDA

View Full Version : Painting Cast Iron

kevin nee
11-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I have some antique cast iron wish bone lathe legs. I took them to be sandblasted.
I plan to spray them with Rust-olium. I am going to prime them today. I was going
wipe them down with thinner and spray away. Does this sound like the way to go.
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Jerome Stanek
11-14-2014, 10:59 AM
You could use stove paint on it

David Weaver
11-14-2014, 11:36 AM
I have some antique cast iron wish bone lathe legs. I took them to be sandblasted.
I plan to spray them with Rust-olium. I am going to prime them today. I was going
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Sean hughto has a picture of a plane casting he painted with rustoleum and it looks pretty good.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?221767-Plane-Restoring-Paint-or-Japanning&p=2311106#post2311106

Myk Rian
11-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Rust-o-leum is made to do just that.

Erik Loza
11-14-2014, 1:40 PM
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Sounds fine. You could also use a coat of self-etching primer if you really felt like it. I find that it gives a more uniform look when done but that's splitting hairs.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Rich Enders
11-14-2014, 3:30 PM
If they are worth the investment how about powder coating, or even chrome..........?

Frederick Skelly
11-14-2014, 6:57 PM
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Ive done that a couple different times with cast iron. Worked fine. Held up a long time outside.

Matt Meiser
11-14-2014, 8:09 PM
If you want, prime with the Rust-O-Leum primer but CI seems to be so "toothy" that the oil based paint sticks pretty darn good even without.

The "professional" stuff dries a lot quicker than the original formula.

Dave Lehnert
11-14-2014, 8:10 PM
I like the look of Hammered paint.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/universal-hammered-spray-paint