PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to introduce myself

Ryan Grubbs
11-13-2014, 11:27 PM
I have decided to pick up woodworking as a hobby. I've done some work in the past, just looking for insight on how to improve the quality of the work! Just wanted to say hello and see if there are any members here who don't mind being informative about a few things? I will, of course, be further searching the forums first, but I'm sure there's a few old tricks ya'll could show me.

My first piece of machinery thus far? Picked up a new in box (4 years old) Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw for 200 bucks off the local Craigslist.

Cordless tools I'm running porter cable with lithium ion batteries.

Looking for ways to build a nice table saw setup at a reasonable price.

Hope I wasnt too long winded, thanks for having me!

Ryan

Dave Zellers
11-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Welcome. You will find folks here more than willing to help with any and all questions you may have.

Improving the quality of your work is a slow and very deliberate process.

Make something. Ask questions. Make more stuff, ask more questions.

Ain't much more complicated than that.

Again- welcome. The most skilled people here started out knowing nothing.

Dave Zellers
11-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Looking for ways to build a nice table saw setup at a reasonable price.
IMO, the fancy table saw is over rated. But that assumes other tools are available such as a good jointer. Any table saw that can be adjusted to run in line with the mitre slots and can adjust the fence to the mitre slots/blade, can be used as effectively as many saws that are much more expensive. Look for an older better built saw over a new one.

You would need to establish a price range.

Ryan Grubbs
11-14-2014, 12:06 AM
I'm craigslisting, brother!

Dave Zellers
11-14-2014, 12:26 AM
AMEN, brother Ryan!

Bruce Page
11-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Welcome to SMC, Ryan. You are amoung some of the best craftsman in the world.

Ryan Grubbs
11-14-2014, 2:06 AM
Glad to be here! Anyone have any newer opinions on the incra i-box? I'm eyeballing this guy for my dovetail setup.

Rick Fisher
11-14-2014, 2:09 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Matt Day
11-14-2014, 3:23 AM
The ibox gets good reviews, but I think that should be very low on your priority list. I'd start with the basics for major machinery before getting very specific (and expensive) jigs/accessories.

And try to buy tools as you go, for the projects you are currently working on. That being said, when buying used you need to jump on deals that come along.

Welcome!

Frederick Skelly
11-14-2014, 7:10 AM
Welcome Ryan! This a a great community, full of very helpful folks. Ask away.

I built a very nice tablesaw setup that I did a piece at a time. You could too if youre so inclined - I bought a used contractor saw with a big, high quality fence for a good price. Then I bought a high quality blade. Later built a very nice enclosed cabinet with built-in mobile base. (WOOD Magazine has run several different plans over the years - search one of their DVDs if youre looking for ideasa.) Then I bought a high quality miter gauge. Then finally got an aftermarket splitter/guard. I did this one piece at a time over years.

Anyway, welcome!
Fred

Mike Heidrick
11-14-2014, 7:43 AM
Hi Ryan. Welcome!

Jesse Busenitz
11-14-2014, 8:38 AM
Welcome Ryan! I think you're on the right track looking for a good table saw.... It seems every project I do, the table saw gets used the bulk of the time, and as was mentioned earlier, make sure the blade is lined up with the fence, and the miter slots. My first TS and was a delta contractor, and I haven't regretted it once.

Prashun Patel
11-14-2014, 9:09 AM
Welcome. You've come to the right place. Ask away! I think you'll find a lot of generosity and encouragement here.

For a table saw, I'd scour Craigslist again. When you see something that looks interesting, don't be shy to ask some opinions about it.

Jim Rimmer
11-14-2014, 1:28 PM
Welcome to the Creek. You'll find lots of experts here more than willing to share their knowledge and expertise with you.

Ryan Grubbs
11-14-2014, 7:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words! As far as jumping on craigslist deals, that's what I did with my scroll saw. 200 bucks for a dewalt 788 that's never been used? Sounds good to me

Chris Padilla
11-14-2014, 7:44 PM
That's a great price on a $550 NIB scroll saw, Ryan! Welcome to the forum...wade in and get both feet wet. Do us a favor and fill in where you hail from...might be some Creekers near you and well, we just wanna know! :D

Paul McGaha
11-14-2014, 7:57 PM
Welcome Ryan. It's a good woodworking community.

PHM

Ryan Grubbs
11-14-2014, 7:58 PM
I'm in Oklahoma City, sir. Just moved over from Georgia.

Ryan Grubbs
11-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Any tutorial videos or anything ya'll would like to share? I've checked around and seen quite a few...subpar ones(in my opinion)...so I'm looking for better ones!

Ryan Grubbs
11-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Also, would be curious as to what ya'll think would be a decent starting setup as far as equipment goes!

Thanks

Dave Zellers
11-16-2014, 12:28 AM
Also, would be curious as to what ya'll think would be a decent starting setup as far as equipment goes!

Thanks
I think you are missing the big picture here. This forum runs the entire gamut of woodworkers. You have to provide some monetary and goal guidance.

There are members here who have equipment worth many hundreds of thousands of dollars. And the experience that comes with that. There are others that do beautiful work with few tools.

Where do you want to start? What is your budget? What tools do you want? Are we talking Harbor Freight or the finest old school European machines?

What projects are you looking to tackle with your new shop?

I guess the one point I would like to make is that this is not a quick process. Exactly the opposite. A slow deliberate approach is the best way to move forward.

Do you have a project that you are looking to make right now?

Ryan Grubbs
11-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Well, when I did projects in the past, it took me ages to do ANYTHING. And it wasn't as nice as I wanted - as in everything was together with glue and a kreg jig. I had a router, a drill, a small hand sander, and a skill saw. That's it...so you can imagine how long it takes.

For now? I'm wanting to be able to do "country" style furniture. I cannot afford a good lathe, so I won't be able to turn the wood. I'm hoping to be able to do nice looking table tops and benches to go with it. I'm also wanting to do a coffee table, end tables, and a small entertainment shelf.

In the future? I eventually want to be able(and be skilled enough) to create my own bedroom suite. Every last bit of it. I'd also like to be proficient enough to build some things for friends out here, and maybe a couple of small jobs for people to help pay for new and better tools.

Does that take care of your answers?

As said, I've done some small projects and they went well, came out well. It's a great way to spend my weekends and keep me away from spending more money.

Pricepoint...I'll be honest. If Harbor Freight tools will do the job for a long time, I'm game! Otherwise, I'll be craigslisting and looking for deals. Assume I'm a college student, because I'm broke!

Ryan

Dave Zellers
11-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Well, I'd say you need a table saw, jointer- 6" jointers are cheap on CL, SCMS, random orbit sander, maybe a block plane, couple chisels, a drill- a driver drill would be very useful, and some glue! :)

When I started out I did a lot of pine country stuff like you are describing with screws and bungs. My wife's sewing machine cabinet is sitting right next to me now 40 years later.

Sounds like you are going to have fun- both building stuff and accumulating tools!

Ryan Grubbs
11-16-2014, 12:46 PM
So, my dewalt scroll saw was a waste of 200 bucks, eh? haha

Dave Zellers
11-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Sell it and buy a planer. Just kidding. :D

Ryan Grubbs
11-16-2014, 2:32 PM
It happens, haha

On a side note, how crucial is a planer? In the work I've done previously, I never used one...:/

Dave Zellers
11-16-2014, 2:59 PM
Not crucial, just nice.

Put it on your list to buy a few years down the road.

One more thing- CLAMPS!

Ryan Grubbs
11-16-2014, 4:39 PM
Not crucial, just nice.

Put it on your list to buy a few years down the road.

One more thing- CLAMPS!

That's on the list for sure! I've always used the quick clamp stuff, wondering if those will suffice or if I should get nicer clamps?

Myk Rian
11-16-2014, 5:08 PM
Just wanted to say hello and see if there are any members here who don't mind being informative about a few things?
Well, don't you worry. There are a whole lot of opinions and suggestions around here. :)

Kent A Bathurst
11-16-2014, 5:29 PM
I'm in Oklahoma City, sir. Just moved over from Georgia.

Modern-day re-enactment of the Trail of Tears, eh? :p :p

Glad to meet you. Lotta good stuff here, and smart people. Not me, but the other guys.

Let me be the first to encourage you to throw down a lousy 6 bucks to SMC, and get the coveted Contributor status. Chicks dig it - great pickup line at the bar - plus you will help keep the lights on at The Creek. If you learn one simple, stupid thing from the mistakes we have all made, it will easily reimburse you for the contribution.

As a Contributor, you can post your scroll saw for sale in Classifieds, if you decide you don't need it. The guys that say you don't need don't need one will be among the first to respond. :D I have bought some good stuff at fair prices, and sold some idle treasures at stupid prices. You can also read the witty and erudite musings in the Lumber Yard forum.

Kent A Bathurst
11-16-2014, 5:32 PM
That's on the list for sure! I've always used the quick clamp stuff, wondering if those will suffice or if I should get nicer clamps?

The guy with 70 +/- clamps of various styles [including a dozen or so quik lamps] would say that you will add quantity and style as you progress - get what you need when you need it. For example, you wanna glue up a table top, those quik clamps won't do doodly-squat.

The end game: no one ever died with too many clamps. No. One. Ever.

Ryan Grubbs
11-16-2014, 5:54 PM
Becoming a contributing member is actually on the list of things to do today, sir.

I just moved out here from Newnan. Maybe you're familiar with it.

Modern-day re-enactment of the Trail of Tears, eh? :p :p

Glad to meet you. Lotta good stuff here, and smart people. Not me, but the other guys.

Let me be the first to encourage you to throw down a lousy 6 bucks to SMC, and get the coveted Contributor status. Chicks dig it - great pickup line at the bar - plus you will help keep the lights on at The Creek. If you learn one simple, stupid thing from the mistakes we have all made, it will easily reimburse you for the contribution.

As a Contributor, you can post your scroll saw for sale in Classifieds, if you decide you don't need it. The guys that say you don't need don't need one will be among the first to respond. :D I have bought some good stuff at fair prices, and sold some idle treasures at stupid prices. You can also read the witty and erudite musings in the Lumber Yard forum.

Ryan Grubbs
11-16-2014, 7:21 PM
It has been taken care of as well, sir.

Kent A Bathurst
11-16-2014, 8:49 PM
Becoming a contributing member is actually on the list of things to do today, sir.

I just moved out here from Newnan. Maybe you're familiar with it.

First - the sir thing is not neccessary. Shows solid sourthern manners and upbringing, but - well....this is just us guys.

Second - nice job on the Contributor. Welcome, indeed.

Last - Oh, yeah - I know Newnan. Beautiful town. Lot of history, lovely houses, classic town square with a memorial to two town sons awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Plus, of course, the obligatory town square statue to the Confederate soldiers - ever village and town in these parts has one.

And - the DQ just a couple blocks away from the square, for your urgent ice cream cone fix.

Very nice place, indeed. Must have been important to drag you away from there.

Ryan Grubbs
11-16-2014, 9:41 PM
It has turned into a ghettofied crap hole near town. My family lives a bit further out in the country, but after visiting OKC I like it a bit more out here! Newnan grew too fast, too quickly. Although I MAY find myself back there later in life, I don't think it's the place for me, not for now.

Cheers!

First - the sir thing is not neccessary. Shows solid sourthern manners and upbringing, but - well....this is just us guys.

Second - nice job on the Contributor. Welcome, indeed.

Last - Oh, yeah - I know Newnan. Beautiful town. Lot of history, lovely houses, classic town square with a memorial to two town sons awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Plus, of course, the obligatory town square statue to the Confederate soldiers - ever village and town in these parts has one.

And - the DQ just a couple blocks away from the square, for your urgent ice cream cone fix.

Very nice place, indeed. Must have been important to drag you away from there.