PDA

View Full Version : Shop drawer side slides

Bill McNiel
11-13-2014, 9:46 PM
I'm reconfiguring my shop and building some new cabinets. I cannot afford the fancy, self closing undermount slides that my customers love so I am looking for reccomendations from the experienced lads & ladies of the Creek.

Thanks in advance.

glenn bradley
11-13-2014, 10:05 PM
I just run K&V 100lb full extension or over extension (if the design calls for them) slides.

Available from many sources I pick them up on sale when I see them. Usually from Custom Service Hardware during a free shipping event but, there are others. I have also used some Mepla slides with reasonable success (from Mc Feely's before the fall IIRC).

Ken Fitzgerald
11-13-2014, 10:13 PM
I, too, use KV slides that I buy from Woodworkers Hardware http://www.wwhardware.com/drawer-door-slides/drawer-slides/full-extension-slides .

Tom M King
11-13-2014, 10:17 PM
KV 8505 Not cheap either, but I'm sure they will outlast the undermounts, and not take so much vertical space. I don't know of any cheap ones I'd want to use for access to tools. I can tell you for a fact that they carry weight, and roll smoothly for at least three and a half decades. I can send one home with a slight nudge of a knee.

Bill McNiel
11-14-2014, 1:00 PM
Thank-you gentlemen.

One more question - which model of the KVs do you use? Are the "Economy" ones any good or should I go up a level?

Larry Frank
11-14-2014, 9:26 PM
I have been using the economy slides from wood workers hardware...full extension 100# and not had any problems after a couple of years of use in my shop....the ones I used were the KVTT100

Peter Quinn
11-14-2014, 9:51 PM
I'm using the economy full extension side mounts from WWhardware. Not sure they were KV? A few times a year they have a sale, box price for a case of 10 was around $5/ea IIR, so if you have time to wait get on the email list and lookout for that. The economy ones are more than adequate, I have some pretty heavy stuff hanging on these slides.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-14-2014, 10:27 PM
I have been using the KV economy full extension slides from WWH in the shop and some of my projects like the entertainment center I built last year. I have two rolling cabinets in my shop that use those KV economy slides. The drawers like most shop cabinets are overloaded and they have worked well.

BTW....my orders from Woodworkers Hardware have been accurate and arrived in good shape.

No connection other than a happy customer.

Jay Yoder
11-15-2014, 10:51 AM
I too have used the KV slides from WWHardware and love them, especially when on sale!

Bill McNiel
11-15-2014, 8:22 PM
Again, THANKS to all for the reccomendations.

Glen - those are some very nice "shop cabinets".

Larry Edgerton
11-16-2014, 7:04 AM
Bill, in my main bench I have every kind of leftover slide that was around my shop, and the best over the long haul is the cheap Grass sidemount slides. I have Accuride and KV full extension slides along with the simple Grass slides and the full extension slide get dust in them and have to be cleaned periodically where the Grass slides can just be blown out with an air gun. I have one drawer with about 50 Jorgensen F clamps that has been severely overloaded for twenty years and still works fine, much better than the expensive full extensions. This is one case where going cheap is a benefit in my opinion.

Larry