PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Appalachian rocking chair plans

Bill Bukovec
11-13-2014, 8:57 PM
I've built a few Shaker rockers and now I'd like to try building an Appalachian rocker. Can someone tell me where I can get plans?

Thanks,

Bill

Robert Henrickson
11-13-2014, 9:09 PM
Try the Foxfire volumes -- I know they have numerous articles on various aspects and types of chairmaking (and just about everything else Appalachian).

Thom Sturgill
11-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Having spent much of my youth in Appalachia - (NW corner of NC) most of the rockers and chairs I remember looked v-e-r-y much like Shaker ladderback chairs and rockers. Typically curved back rather than straight although straight was common too. Seats were twine or reed as likely as slat though slat seats were more common on rockers than chairs. I don't remember any with the shaker wide ribbon seat/back. As was mentioned. Firefox would be a good reference for southern Appalachia - they were published in Georgia as a school project as I remember. My Dad was featured in one for a mountain banjo.

Michelle Rich
11-14-2014, 5:45 AM
I agree with Robert & Thom..the firefox series is a jewel. It's a real tribute to the folks who came before us & their struggles and mastery of their environment.

Scott Hackler
11-14-2014, 10:55 AM
^^^ and Mick should know! She is one heck of a chair maker!

Bill Bukovec
11-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks for letting me know about the Foxfire series. I have never heard about it.

Now I have something to read on a cold winter night. (Those usually end about May 15th)