PDA

View Full Version : New Creeker, Stupid Question.

Randy Davidson
07-15-2005, 1:25 PM
I've been a lurker for awhile and finally decided to jump in the creek. Love the information that this fourm has. Anyway, here goes...
When making a reference to board lumber thickness is often refered to as 5/4, or 8/4 lumber. Is there a conversion to this measurement or just used for rough lumber?:o

Mike Mastin
07-15-2005, 1:39 PM
Hi Randy,

Rough sawn lumber is measured in 1/4" increments, thus 4/4 is equal to approx. 1" rough sawn lumber. 5/4 would be 1 1/4" rough sawn, 6/4 = 1 1/2", 8/4 = 2" rough sawn, etc.

Don Baer
07-15-2005, 1:40 PM
It is normaly used to refer to hardwoods. The 5/4 refers to the number of 1/4 inches in the thickness in the piece. 5/4 lumber would 1 1/4"

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2005, 1:52 PM
Randy....the others answered your question.....Welcome to the Creek!

Scott Loven
07-15-2005, 1:56 PM
I saw a guy demo an old steam driven sawmill a while back. When he would position the log for the next cut he would pull a big lever that would move the log 1 quarter of an inch each time. 4 pulls would be 4 quarter inch moves or 4/4, 8 pulls would be 8/4 and so forth. I assume that this is where we got this method for dimensioning rough cut lumber.
Scott

Don Baer
07-15-2005, 1:58 PM
Oh yea, I forgot, Welcome to the creek

Randy Davidson
07-15-2005, 1:59 PM
Thanks guys. You ever wanted to just kick yourself in the head for something you should have been able to figure out yourself.

Thanks again and look toward reading more great info.

scott spencer
07-15-2005, 2:42 PM
Thanks guys. You ever wanted to just kick yourself in the head for something you should have been able to figure out yourself.
....I'm no where near flexible enough to even think about it, but I'm still amazed at how well my foot fits in my mouth!

Welcome to the "movers and shakers" side of the forum! ;)

John Hart
07-15-2005, 3:20 PM
....I'm no where near flexible enough to even think about it, but I'm still amazed at how well my foot fits in my mouth!....;)

That's what I was going to say!:)

Welcome Randy!!

John Miliunas
07-15-2005, 3:25 PM
Randy, welcome to SMC and know up front that there is NO SUCH THING as a stupid question here at the Creek!:) There are a LOT of intelligent and highly skilled woodworkers here but, I guarantee that not a single one of them came to being the talented craftsman he or she is without asking a "stupid" question or two! No, not even Dale T.!:D Come often, stay long and ask as many questions as you see fit without fear of retribution! Besides, I pretty much have the "stupid question" mailbox filled already!:D :) :cool:

Von Bickley
07-15-2005, 3:26 PM
Randy,

Welcome to the creek.... :)

Michael Perata
07-15-2005, 4:15 PM
Yes, but my foot won't reach so I use the heel of my hand against my forehead.

Harry Thornton
07-15-2005, 4:38 PM
Randy, there is nothing really intuitively obvious about the question you asked. If you read enough you would eventually stumble across the answer. If you would have done a search on "rough-cut lumber" or "lumber milling" you probably would have gotten the answer...but why? In the electronic age it is much quicker to just ask the question. The folks on this forum are very polite. Nobody will bust your chops for asking a question...even if it IS dumb. Your's was not.

Obviously the different measuring conventions are to distinguish between literal dimensions and deceptive ones...like it's our fault they had to shave a quarter inch off to make the board smooth!!!;)

Just kidding...welcome.