PDA

View Full Version : New leigh router table dovetail jig

Bernie Kopfer
11-13-2014, 1:29 PM
I see that Leigh is coming out with a new jig designed to be used exclusively on a router table. I have been contemplating learning to do do machine made dovetails and this appears to perhaps be the way to go. So i would welcome any comments about this method vs the other router methods that appear to be available in abundance. :confused: Thanks

John TenEyck
11-13-2014, 3:42 PM
I'm interested in what others may think of this approach as well. I tried my friend's D4RPro a few months ago and, while the jig is impressive in its design and workmanship, I found it frustrating to use. I've seen others turn out beautiful work with it. I was not as successful and it left me wanting for something else. I was also surprised how massive the 24" model is. Together with all of its accessories it takes up a lot of storage space.

The new RTJ400 may be what I'm looking for. I especially like the concept of moving the workpiece over the fixed router bit. Of course, that's not going to work well with something like the side of a large cabinet, but for drawers and smaller pieces this just fits better with the way I prefer to work. Others may feel differently which is fine. Registration of the workpiece against the router table should be slam dunk simple, something that I found wasn't always so easy with the D4RPro. In the end, the RTJ400 won't be as versatile as the D4RPro, but it may be easier to set up and use for smaller work pieces. At least that's what I'm hoping.

John

Dave Richards
11-13-2014, 4:00 PM
Very interesting. I'll be interested to see this, too. I do prefer router cutting my dovetails without any template to follow, though.

Tom M King
11-13-2014, 10:10 PM
I looked at it out of curiosity. My personal opinion is that the proportions look awful, and having to handle both parts separately doesn't make any kind of sense to me for machine cutting half-blind dovetails. The only time we use them is to do a whole set of drawers for a set of cabinets. For that, I use a cheapo Rockwell that I bought new in the mid '70s, and keep a dedicated router set up for it that I haven't touched in decades. We only use it once every year or so, and I don't remember when I changed the bit. Even with a cheap jig, it cuts both parts at the same time.

I also have a Leigh jig that I bought from someone who couldn't figure it out. The trick to making it quick and easy to use is to have two dedicated routers set up for it. If I want to dovetail something on a chicken coop, I can just take it out of it's toolbox, and it's a few minute job. Using dividers to step off the layout of the dovetails that's pleasing to the eye takes more time than the actual use of the jig with dedicated routers. I'm stuck to using 3/4" stock with it like this, but that's good enough for my use.

If I have to do just a few for a piece of furniture, or a one off for a repair, I just cut them by hand rather than spend time setting the jigs up. Initial time setting the jig up is not that much fun to me. We get paid to produce work. If I were a hobbyist making a few pieces of furniture a year, I'd not use a router jig at all.

Joe Zerafa
11-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Its looks alot like the Australian gifkins dovetail jig, try googling it , there are plenty of video's/demos online.

John TenEyck
11-14-2014, 3:49 PM
I just got an e-mail from Highland Hardware with a link to a video of the new Leigh dovetail/finger joint jig. Sure looks pretty straight forward. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/blasts2014/leighjig.html?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Product%20Video%20Email%20Blasts&utm_content=Leigh+router+table+dovetail+jig+video

John

Bernie Kopfer
11-15-2014, 8:51 AM
Appears that we will have to wait until someone does some direct comparisons in use to see if the accuracy and ease of use is as good as Leigh claims. The Highland video is unfortunately a "advertising' piece and does not address any comparison issues. I don't need this tomorrow, but would like to be sure it is the jig I would want to get started doing dovetails with before i put it on the Christmas list.

Wade Lippman
11-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Is it cheaper anywhere?

Ray Newman
11-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Do believe that you can utilize the Keller dovetail jig on a router table.
http://www.kellerdovetail.com/

There is a router table specific jig -- the Gifkins from Australia:
http://gifkins.com.au/
http://www.rockler.com/how-to/gifkins-dovetail-jig/

Hovey Moore
11-15-2014, 7:31 PM
I have been using the Keller jig on my router table for years and it works really well on the router table. Being able to use my big 3hp router is nice as there is lots of power, its slightly quieter being inside the cabinet, and the jig/board is nice and stable.

Looking at the new Leigh jig, I cant see anything I don't like about it. Well, I suspect the price isn't cheap, but you cant have everything. Still that would be the one I would choose if buying a new jig.

Marty Tippin
11-15-2014, 8:58 PM
One thing that occurs to me with the new Leigh jig is that installing the router but may be difficult if it works the same as their current jigs - the dovetail bit is wider than the Leigh guide bushing, so you have to insert it into the collet after the bushing is installed. No problem when the router is not installed in a table but may be a challenge with the router below the table.

Paul Wunder
11-15-2014, 9:24 PM
I saw the company prepared video of this jig and when I saw that there was no dust control and that dust spewed all over the place, that did it for me

Not in my shop

Marty Tippin
11-15-2014, 11:22 PM
I saw the company prepared video of this jig and when I saw that there was no dust control and that dust spewed all over the place, that did it for me Not in my shop

I'm pretty sure there was a subtitle that said "dust collection removed for clarity"...

Mark W Pugh
11-16-2014, 8:45 AM
Looks a lot like this.

http://sommerfeldtools.com/professional-equipment-and-tools/jigs-and-guides/sommerfeld-s-dovetail-jig

I do have this one and does a good job, and is extremely easy to use. You can buy individual forks to stagger the dovetails. You could make a dust collection device to catch the cuttings. It will do half blind dovetails also, but the look is a little different.

Paul Wunder
11-16-2014, 1:35 PM
"I'm pretty sure there was a subtitle that said "dust collection removed for clarity".

No, There was no such statement. And there is no mention of dust control

Ray Newman
11-16-2014, 5:59 PM
Dust control is no big deal. It is easily be shop-fabricated.

I have cut finger joints on a router table. For dustcontrol, I positioned and duct taped either the 2.5” shop vacuum hose or the 4”dust collection system hose in front of the bit, allowing room for jig travel.

Have utilized the same concept when cutting finger joints onthe Uni-saw.

Mike Goetzke
11-17-2014, 12:18 PM
One thing that occurs to me with the new Leigh jig is that installing the router but may be difficult if it works the same as their current jigs - the dovetail bit is wider than the Leigh guide bushing, so you have to insert it into the collet after the bushing is installed. No problem when the router is not installed in a table but may be a challenge with the router below the table.

I have this jig on order (for almost 3-months now) and need to change the bits from above the table. I had the same thoughts so called and Leigh claims the bits will fit through the bushings - they better!

Mike