PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic, but about polycarb & curious? Using OFF to polish old headlight lenses

Bruce Clumpner
11-13-2014, 11:35 AM
While surfing yesterday, I came across an interesting video on youtube and just wanted to ask the collective if it's accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmbBZntuY8

The video showed how to use bug repellant containing DEET to polish out oxidized polycarbonate headlight covers. Anyone see this? How does it affect the long term life of the plastic? Does the spray cause cracking down the line... Prox, cons?

Interested to know.

Dave Sheldrake
11-13-2014, 12:13 PM
I use Solvol Autosol metal polish followed by Arm & Hammer toothpaste on my MR2 TRD Bruce, they had "bloomed" quite badly but it worked :)

cheers

Dave

Bill Huber
11-13-2014, 1:26 PM
I can not answer the question but it sounds correct.

I just did my son's and my daughter's cars, I got a Mequiar's kit at Auto Zone and it made them look like new again.
The kit has everything you need to do it and the last thing you do is put on a UV protector that come in the kit.

Chris Padilla
11-13-2014, 1:29 PM
Cool. I'll be visiting Auto Zone soon for that kit. I had my local car washer do mine last time but they are back to being fogged again. Time to DIY them.

Keep track of time on that job, Bill. I wonder how long they'll stay clear?

Bill Huber
11-13-2014, 1:43 PM
Cool. I'll be visiting Auto Zone soon for that kit. I had my local car washer do mine last time but they are back to being fogged again. Time to DIY them.

Keep track of time on that job, Bill. I wonder how long they'll stay clear?

Not sure how long it will last but I have been told that you have to coat them with some type of UV filter or they won't last very long.
What you do with the kit is wet sand them with 2 different grits of paper you put on a little pad, 1000 and then 3000.
Then there is a little buffer for your drill in the kit and some polishing stuff you buff them with, then put on the UV protector.
I have done 2 really really bad ones and 2 just bad ones and I still have stuff left.

Matt Day
11-13-2014, 1:57 PM
I bought a kit too, though I think mine is from Mother's. It is much easier if you get the drill kit rather than doing it by hand. For sure makes them like new again, and kind of fun (with the drill).

Myk Rian
11-13-2014, 2:00 PM
My sister used auto vinyl cleaner on hers. I wasn't sure it would work, but it did a really great job.

Lee Schierer
11-13-2014, 4:09 PM
I bought a bottle of PLASTX by McGuires at one of the auto supply stores. The plastic rear window on our 1996 Miata was getting pretty hard to see through. You wipe the product on like car wax let it dry and wipe it off. No grinding or sanding required. WE can now see through the back window again. The container says it also works on headlights.300192

John McClanahan
11-13-2014, 6:22 PM
The surface of the plastic gets oxidized and needs to be removed. Toothpaste will work but its slow. I have used fine rubbing compound with my variable speed sander/polisher with good results.

John

Bill Huber
11-14-2014, 9:15 AM
I bought a bottle of PLASTX by McGuires at one of the auto supply stores. The plastic rear window on our 1996 Miata was getting pretty hard to see through. You wipe the product on like car wax let it dry and wipe it off. No grinding or sanding required. WE can now see through the back window again. The container says it also works on headlights.300192

That is the stuff that comes in the kit from them and they also have a little bottle of Headlight Protectant.

Stan Calow
11-14-2014, 9:22 AM
The video actually says not to use bug spray because it damages the plastic.

Brian Elfert
11-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Lots of folks say the headlight restoration kits are only a short term fix. Supposedly, the more times you polish a headlight the shorter the results last each time. The "experts" say the best fix is to replace the headlight assembly with OEM, but who is going to spend $250 each on new OEM headlight assemblies on an old car?

Bert Kemp
11-14-2014, 10:55 AM
I just use toothpaste on a micro fiber cloth, wet the cloth apply the paste and rub hard using circular motion take about 5 mins a lens and last 5 or 6 months before it starts fogging again. I would imagine it would last longer if I applied a uv coating after, but its easy enough just to polish every 5 or 6 months to.