PDA

View Full Version : Balboa House Projects

Mark Singer
07-15-2005, 12:35 PM
For the home I am building I am selecting a few projects that I will build in my shop. By not tackling the kitchen I will have more time to build specialty cabinets and other items. here is a list....If there is interest in members following the coonstruction of a certain item I will try to take more pics and explain the process carefully. First projects should begin in a couple weeks...I am pricing lumber now.

1. Interior doors....single lite French, and jambs typically 3' x8' Mahogany prehung in my shop ready to install

2. Powder room Vanity of exotic wood on legs with M&T construction

3. Powder room long cabinet

4. Custom Mirrors

5.Stereo Cabinet

6.Bath 1 cabinet (sink on top)

7..Bath 2 cabinet (sink on top)

8..Bath 4 cabinet (sink on top)

9.Master bath stainless and wood vanity

10.Hardwood Stair Treads ....a lot of these!

11. M Bath small cabinet for toilet room

12. 9 closet doors

This is probably a partial list and I may make and post designs as drawings to fully cover the entire design/build process..

Don Baer
07-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Wow Mark I would like to see em all.

Kurt Aebi
07-15-2005, 12:59 PM
If ya got the time ----- All Of them.

The Doors, specifically!

Richard Wolf
07-15-2005, 1:08 PM
Always interested in stairs.

Richard

John Miliunas
07-15-2005, 3:36 PM
OK, Mark...So I'm greedy! If the spirit leads and you have the time, tutorials on all of the above would be grand! :) I always love to watch an artist at work and if there's something to be learned from it in the process, well then, all the better!:) Thanks for your consideration!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
07-15-2005, 3:51 PM
Looks like Uncle Mark is going to be seeing a lot of his shop "real soon now"!!! ;)

Michael Perata
07-15-2005, 4:11 PM
Mark

I would like to keep up on your interior single lites. I am planning on the same although not in Mahogany.

mike malone
07-15-2005, 5:46 PM
Man Mark!!!
You must have a great work ethic...i'm exhausted just looking at the list!
Best regards
mike

Mark Singer
07-15-2005, 6:51 PM
Thanks for your response! I will try to keep a camera handy and post the progress. I will be using machines for the most part to work efficiently. I think I will start with the doors and get those out of the way. Most woods would require a 3 layer rail lamination....FAS or Pattern grade Hondo M. does not...so if the wood is different you will need to add that step. I will probably not do hand dovetails on cabinets of this type. The quality should be high end though considering the value of the home. I thing Mike Gandy a close friend will build the kitchen cabinets. He is quite a crafstman and works with a great finisher. The look will be a wenge or truffle brown on oak...conversion varnish. Blum soft closers....that is the general level of detail.
A couple of cabinets like the M Bath will be of exotic woods and miked media...limstone tops and bronze or stainless details. I will start to work on sketches and post them. Some will just be shop drawing like for the doors...it is still worth looking at since it sets up the assembly line construction process.
Thanks again!

Todd Davidson
07-15-2005, 6:53 PM
I'd be grateful for a single light French door tutorial.

Don Baer
07-15-2005, 6:55 PM
Mark;
Thank you for wanting to share. It speaks well for the quaility that you are putting into this project that you want to do some of the detail yourself.

Mike Cutler
07-16-2005, 6:54 AM
I'd be really interested in following the door construction that you have planned Mark. Construction techniques, pro's and con's of different joinery techniques, and of course design
I live in an older house and have had to make my own doors. There is very little information out there on making custom doors. Both of the interior doors that I've made had large stained glass panels set into them, ergo traditional solid panel techniques weren't 100% applicable. I think I did the joints correctly but it be nice to learn how you do them, and anyone else for that matter.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-16-2005, 7:35 AM
I know it's a tall order, but I'd like to see at least one pic of each one. I am especially interested in the stereo cabinet, the french doors and the stainless and wood vanity!

Cecil Arnold
07-16-2005, 6:30 PM
Mark, What Kelly said--and thank you for being generous with your time to give the rest of us your hard won information.

Roger Barga
07-16-2005, 8:56 PM
I am really looking forward to following this thread, Thanks Mark!