PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic supplier

Jay Selway
11-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Hey everyone,

I've searched on here already, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I'm curious where everyone purchases their acrylic from? Looking to get it in 18"x24" sheets if possible.

Laserbits, Rowmark and some of the mainstream suppliers seem expensive, so any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

David Somers
11-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Jay,

In case you haven't already determined this. Be sure you know if you want cast or extruded Acrylic. Here is a link to an SMC thread on the topic that might help you if you are looking for the differences. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?68176-Cast-vs-Extruded-acrylic

Sounds like you found the common sources folks are using. Have you checked locally at glass shops? You can also find materials at the big box stores but you need to be sure if you are getting cast or extruded from them.

Dave

Scott Shepherd
11-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Piedmont Plastics in this area do well. They'll cut sheets to any sizes you want, as well as ship them if you need that.

Mike Null
11-13-2014, 11:09 AM
I usually buy all my plastics from Johnson Plastics.

Jay Selway
11-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Piedmont Plastics in this area do well. They'll cut sheets to any sizes you want, as well as ship them if you need that.

Right near me! Thanks Scott.

John Frazee
11-14-2014, 1:56 PM
If you are looking for the colored acrylic, I am too. Johnson Plastics is now carrying some 12x24 sheets of colored acrylics but they do not have all the colors my customers want. I have found a few suppliers for the basic solid colors if that is what you are looking for. Let me know and I will look them up and share. One of them sells the 12x24 inch sheets for about $10. I want the hot pinks etc. but can't find them.

Wes Mitchell
11-14-2014, 3:17 PM
John, Rowmark recently added a "Flamingo" to their ColorHues line. It's kind of a hot pink/orange, might be close to what you are looking for. It's one of three colors they call "Edge Glow". I have a piece of the Citron (Think neon yellow/green) sitting in my cube, and the edges really pop.

http://rowmark.com/laser/ColorHues/ColorHues.asp

Wes
Johnson Plastics

Steve Clarkson
11-14-2014, 5:10 PM
I try to buy a lot from Johnsons too.........however, if you don't know what you are looking for, it can be problematic. Here is a lesson I learned this week:

I have been buying "frosted" acrylics lately from Inventables......at $31 for a 12x24 sheet......only because I couldn't find it anywhere else. So I ordered 10 quarter sheets from them on Tuesday and on Wednesday they told me they only shipped 8.......so yesterday I did another Google search and found out that Delvies recently started selling it.....at $16 for 12x24......so I ordered 10 sheets with next day air shipping ($140) and it was still less than Inventables. Now I find out that the "frosted" acrylic is actually Rowmark ColorHues and sold by Johnsons for $15 for 12x24 and their standard shipping is 1 day from me. Ugh!

So ALWAYS shop around for the best price and know what it's called!

Bruce Dash
12-01-2014, 12:47 AM
I found a company called eStreetplatic.com 12" x 24" - Clear Acrylic Plexiglass Sheet - 1/4'' Thick Cast at a realy good price. Ordered on Sunday night had in hand on thursday morning. very good quility and cleans up nice.

Brian Leavitt
12-11-2014, 3:51 PM
Jay,
Also check out Harbor Sales. They deliver free and the prices are WAY less than our regular sources. They sell by the 48"x96" (or larger) sheet, but they'll cut it for you as well.

Neil Pabia
12-11-2014, 4:03 PM
I get my acrylics from the Plastic Factory in BPT, CT. I pay around $18 for a 2'x4'x1/8". that is their commercial rate.

Bill George
12-11-2014, 6:55 PM
Amazon dot Com in 12x12 inch cast 6mm thick $8.00 shipped to your door, If you buy enough you get the "free" shipping.

Ed Maloney
12-12-2014, 4:15 PM
Jay,
Also check out Harbor Sales. They deliver free and the prices are WAY less than our regular sources. They sell by the 48"x96" (or larger) sheet, but they'll cut it for you as well.

I now use Harbor as well and they are in Maryland so don't know how far the free shipping is. It's great to have no cost 1 day shipping.

Steven Gray
12-23-2014, 9:41 PM
I purchase my acrylic from Inventables.com where you can buy either cast or extruded acrylic in many colors and thicknesses as well as sizes. Good luck.

Keith Colson
12-24-2014, 1:05 AM
I just got about a 1000 dollars of free acrylic, cool colours and high impact acrylic. Sign makers throw massive pieces out in the trash. I dropped in 2 dozen beer and got half a station wagon full. If you have a silver tongue and some beers you should try it. A lot of them are so big I will need to cut them smaller to fit my laser bed.

Now I need to build some more racks for all this extra plastic.

Cheers
Keith