PDA

View Full Version : New Jet 1221VS Lathe Arrived With A Crack In The Bed! Is This A Rare Occurrence?

Dom Garafalo
11-13-2014, 8:30 AM
My new Jet 1221VS lathe arrived on time yesterday exactly when it was expected.

What wasn't expected was the crack in the tailstock end of the bed. Although the box had no evidence of damage, it looks like somewhere along the line the lathe must have been dropped on the tailstock end hard enough to crack the casting. So I had to repackage it and it goes back today to the Jet CPO location it came from in Lawrenceville, GA.

My expectation is that once they receive it, they will ship another new one to me.

I'm mentioning this because I wonder if anyone else has had any problem receiving damaged woodworking equipment from Jet CPO locations? (Btw, this was a new lathe not a reconditioned one)

Has anyone else had any problems like this, or is it likely just a rare exception?

Thanks

Dom

Steve Doerr
11-13-2014, 9:28 AM
When I got my Jet 1642 several years ago, it came by truck and arrived with no problem. I have not heard of others having the problem you mentioned. Based on Jet's customer service that I have had, I would say that you should have not problem getting a replacement. Did you send them a picture before shipping it back? I would think they would have started the process to send you a new one just after you contacted them.

Dom Garafalo
11-13-2014, 9:42 AM
First, I called the CPO location to report and describe the problem. They then asked me to take and send them pictures of the damage which I did quickly and in return they contacted UPS and issued a RMA # and scheduled a prepaid "pick up" for today. The person I spoke with said they would ship a new one to me once they receive this one which sounds right.

Mike Peace
11-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Sorry for your aggravation. I do not think this is common but S$*t happens.

Ralph Lindberg
11-13-2014, 12:21 PM
It actually is probably a casting flaw

Thom Sturgill
11-13-2014, 12:28 PM
The 1221 is right at the limit that UPS will carry for home delivery. When I bought my 1220 years ago the seller had to check because he was afraid the UPS driver would not want to pick it up and thought they would have to charge freight rates to get it to me. It was something like 1 pound under their maximum. Arrived with no problems though.

Michael Roland
11-13-2014, 12:34 PM
I placed an order for a 1221VS a few months ago. The first lathe arrived damaged and was RMA'd, the second was damaged in shipment so badly that UPS sent a note that they were not even going to deliver it. UPS returned the 2nd lathe to the shipper. I contacted the vendor, not CPO, to cancel the order since shipping was not working. The vendor upgraded me to FedEx next day service for free. The FedEx shipped unit arrived safely in a box that was pristine. I've had similar issues with other UPS shipments that are near the size or weight limits for using UPS. YMMV

Dom Garafalo
11-13-2014, 1:12 PM
"It actually is probably a casting flaw" - I attached a photo and to me it doesn't look like a casting flaw? What do you folks300191 think?

Joe Bradshaw
11-13-2014, 3:38 PM
It looks like a dropped on the end flaw to me. I have one and it is a sweet little lathe.
Joe

Shawn Pachlhofer
11-13-2014, 4:00 PM
I have heard of several Delta minis arriving with cracks in various places.

not casting problems

shipping problems.

David Delo
11-13-2014, 4:42 PM
I dread having UPS deliver anything with any weight to it. Seems every package looks like it was in a Samsonite gorilla commercial. Had a Grizzly DC delivered that was too damaged to put together and the replacement was in worse condition. Only good part was what was damaged in shipment #1 was okay in shipment #2 and what was damaged in shipment #2 wasn't damaged in shipment #1.