PDA

View Full Version : Beavertail scoops and other types

Leo Van Der Loo
11-13-2014, 2:25 AM
Lady friend of ours had asked me to make her a couple of scoops, so that’s what I did and while I was ay it I made some more, should make nice presents I think or at least good usable items.

These are what I call my beavertail scoops made from Red Maple and the fishtail scoops, this one is from Honey Locust.

300172 300179

A set of Maple measuring scoops and a few Richard Raffan type scoops this is Spalted Red Maple.
300174 300178

A few Ruth Niles type scoops and a Black Walnut carved spoon.
300176 300177

Paper Birch spoons and a picture of some of the spoons and scoops selection, have fun :D
300175 300173

Tim Passmore
11-13-2014, 5:46 AM
Leo-----fabulous work. I'm sure the receipients will cherish them!

David Delo
11-13-2014, 7:03 AM
They are all excellent and show your talent very well. Really like the locust and the carved black walnut.

Mike Peace
11-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Very nice. What is old is new again. Funny how you can revisit simple utilitarian projects you may not have done for a long time and have a fun time turning and produce such wonderful gifts.

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Nice work Leo! Love the variety! What do you use to carve your spoons?

Robert Henrickson
11-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Beautiful work and nice variety.

Thom Sturgill
11-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Nice work as always Leo! The Ruth Niles style has been on my to-do list for awhile. Tried the Raffan style, but made them too short :mad:

Leo Van Der Loo
11-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Leo-----fabulous work. I'm sure the receipients will cherish them!

Thanks for replying Tim :)

They are all excellent and show your talent very well. Really like the locust and the carved black walnut.

Thank you David for taking the time to comment :)

Very nice. What is old is new again. Funny how you can revisit simple utilitarian projects you may not have done for a long time and have a fun time turning and produce such wonderful gifts.

Thanks Mike, useful items then and now, plus wood is still preferred over plastic here and at many homes :)

Nice work Leo! Love the variety! What do you use to carve your spoons?

Thanks Steve :), trained Beaver ?? ;), no not really :rolleyes:, use these burs I got at Lee Valleys some years ago, they work good for the majority of wood removal, then the rest the hard way with sandpaper 300218

Added:http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=69808&cat=1,130,43409

Beautiful work and nice variety.

Thanks Robert :), my modus operandi is one of a kind, but hard to do with these kind of projects, still try to vary them so as to give that feeling to it :D

Nice work as always Leo! The Ruth Niles style has been on my to-do list for awhile. Tried the Raffan style, but made them too short :mad:

Thanks Tom, they have been on my todo as well, made a couple before but they are more work than I actually like to put into something like this, but the looks do make them appealing, so fell for them again.
The Raffan ones do get some different lengths and widths here also Tom ;), and who’s to say whats wrong other than the looks maybe :D