PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Kobra owners

Glen Blanchard
11-12-2014, 8:04 PM
I own the Kobra and the Gizmo hollowing rigs, like them both very much, and continue to use them both. That being said, the knuckle joints/bearings on my Kobra have always seemed quite stiff and as a result the Kobra as a whole does not move as freely as I would like. The Gizmo is just the opposite as it takes no effort at all to move the arm around its joints/bearings. Here are my questions:

1. Have other Kobra owners experienced this?
2. Is there a way to decrease the tension at the knuckles or to lubricate them to get them to turn more freely?
3. Out of curiosity, are Kobras still being made?

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-12-2014, 8:43 PM
1 I have not felt the movement was stiff but I don't have another system to compare against. I am very happy with the effort it takes to move the arms. Have you tried moving the base closer or further from your work piece. I even find that moving the base toward the back of the lathe (away from the operator) changed the dynamics.

2. The bearings are lubricated for life and should require no further lubrication. Bearings are built to turn fast and for long periods of time. If you think about it, the bearings in the Kobra get very little exercise rotationally. I will ask you if you use compressed air to blow out the dust from between the arms. The instructions that came with mine specifically mentioned not to do that. I suspect dust forced into the narrow space between joints could tighten the movement.

3. Yes Kobra's are still being made. Jerry and Al machine and precision grind every piece to meet their very high standards and that process has not lent itself to mass production. Therefore, we experience long lead times when we need something. I recently changed lathes from a 20" machine to a 24" machine. Jerry and Al are currently making a spacer to raise the articulating arms to reach center of rotation on the new lathe. I spoke with them about a week ago. I had emailed and asked if I should take the base to a machine shop to have new mounting holes drilled to match the narrower space between the ways on the current lathe. Al called to tell me that was not necessary and please not to do that. They are really proud of the pieces they make and probably shudder at the thought of a customer defacing one of their units. I am currently waiting for their fix and am sure it will be perfect. That just seems to be the way they work.

Glen Blanchard
11-12-2014, 8:51 PM
Thanks, Faust. The stiffness that I reference has been present since I received the product. Al indicated that it would probably loosen up some over time, but that has not happened. I just find the greater tension at the bearings to be somewhat problematic at times.

Scott Haddix
11-12-2014, 10:15 PM
I do not own the Kobra, but a friend does and I've used it a few times. It does not have the issue you noted. His works great and is a pleasure to use. I'd call them back and ask them to address it.