PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Burl

David Delo
11-12-2014, 4:00 PM
Wanted to leave the natural edge on top for this piece but uncovered a pretty good crack that looked like it was going to end up right into the tenon so I switched it around. Between finding enough wood to make a tenon because of the sloped burl and getting rid of the crack, probably lost about 2" in height. Can't really complain, the figure in this wood is outstanding. Will make a nice Christmas present next year.
5"H x 8"D x 4"D

Jamie Donaldson
11-12-2014, 7:18 PM
David, it appears that your tenon is touching the bottom of the chuck jaws, if so that is a big NO NO! It greatly enhances the probability of a "rapid dismount" of the turning, so always leave a small gap to avoid such an accident.

David Delo
11-12-2014, 7:50 PM
David, it appears that your tenon is touching the bottom of the chuck jaws, if so that is a big NO NO! It greatly enhances the probability of a "rapid dismount" of the turning, so always leave a small gap to avoid such an accident.Jamie,Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of keeping the tenon off the bottom of the chuck. Must be the angle of the camera but there was a gap.....very small......but it was there......I triple checked it with every jaw.......thought about shortening it but since there was a gap, didn't.Dave