PDA

View Full Version : Press on Chest- Finished project pics!

Ernie Hobbs
07-15-2005, 10:32 AM
After 6 months of on again-off again working in the shop, I have finally completed the Press on Chest for my wife. I figure I probably have about 300 hours in it, but I'm not really sure. This project offered a few firsts for me: hand-cut dovetails, dental molding, case piece with drawers, raised panel doors, and arches in raised-panel doors.

Here's the details, in case you'd like to know:
Wood: African Mahogany, Southern Yellow Pine for backs and drawer sides and bottoms
Dimensions: Height 76 1/2", Width 42 1/8", Depth 22"
Finish: Tung oil with Goddard's Cabinetmaker's Wax
Tools used: machines for dimensioning but mostly hand tools used. All machine marks removed with planes and scrapers.
Hardware: pulls and knobs from Ball and Ball, hinges from White Chapel

I had planned to use an aniline dye and make it a little darker but, my wife talked me into leaving it more natural. Since it is for her stuff, I gave in. After completion, I think I agree with her choice.

Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks for looking. Now on to the next project...

Ernie Hobbs
07-15-2005, 10:34 AM
A few more pictures...

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Ernie......absolutely fantastic! I like the color, finish and craftsmanship! A family heirloom for sure!

Don Baer
07-15-2005, 10:43 AM
I realy like the depth othe raised panel arches on the doors. Great job.

Hank Knight
07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Ernie, that's a very nice job. I've just started a piece of Kentucky kitchen furniture called a "Jackson Press" that's very similar to your piece. It has two drawers and a cabinet on the bottom with a press on top. I hope mine turns out half as well as yours.
Thanks for posting.

Mike Tempel
07-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Just beautiful work. I know she is proud of you. You did a wonderful job and I really like the wood choice.

Dale Rodabaugh
07-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Great job,beautiful work.Ya gotta be proud of that.:) :) :)

Jason Tuinstra
07-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Ernie, after all those hours of work, isn't nice to be done? Well, it looks great! The African Mahogany looks fantastic on this piece. And those hand cut dovetails.... nice! Now, have you decided what movie is going to cristen this piece?

Ernie Hobbs
07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Ernie, after all those hours of work, isn't nice to be done? Well, it looks great! The African Mahogany looks fantastic on this piece. And those hand cut dovetails.... nice! Now, have you decided what movie is going to cristen this piece?

Haven't thought about it. I have noticed, though, how small my TV looks. Maybe a bigger one is needed? I guess we can't have everything.:D

Alan Turner
07-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Nice work. Good tight DT's. Hangs together well. Is this your first major piece? If so, it sure came out well. If it is not, it still is great.

Ernie Hobbs
07-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Nice work. Good tight DT's. Hangs together well. Is this your first major piece? If so, it sure came out well. If it is not, it still is great.

Alan:

Yes. I've made a few pencil post beds, a couple of chippendale chairs, and lots of tables. This is, by far, the most involved piece I've made yet.

Carl Eyman
07-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Something to be proud of, Ernie.

David Duke
07-15-2005, 2:42 PM
Very nice work.......gonna be hard to top that.:)

Jim Becker
07-15-2005, 3:55 PM
Excellent, Ernie!! That really turned out superb.

John Miliunas
07-15-2005, 4:15 PM
I must say, Mrs. Hobbs must be one very special person! Wonderful job on the piece, Ernie!:) Everything from design, to fit and finish is superb. She should be quite happy with her new piece of furniture and very proud of you, me thinks!:) :cool:

Steve Beadle
07-15-2005, 4:23 PM
It's gorgeous, to be sure. Can't get tired of looking at that!

Okay, here's one teeny, tiny nit-pick: I'm wondering if those wonderful raised panels might not look even better if they were rotated 180* so that the cathedral grain pointed upward?

How did you like working with the African mahogany?

Corey Hallagan
07-15-2005, 4:25 PM
Wow, that is spectacular. Beautiful wood and awesome finish. Thanks for posting!

Corey

Dan Oliphant
07-15-2005, 4:36 PM
Ernie,

Great looking piece of furniture. The plinth and dentil moulding designs and execution really look good on this piece.

Ernie Hobbs
07-15-2005, 5:32 PM
Okay, here's one teeny, tiny nit-pick: I'm wondering if those wonderful raised panels might not look even better if they were rotated 180* so that the cathedral grain pointed upward?

How did you like working with the African mahogany?

Steve:

Good idea. I wish I had considered that when I laid them out. Oh well.

I'm not real crazy about the african mahogany. I have worked with South American Mahogany mostly in the past and got this at half the price. It chipped up a lot (look closely at the end grain in the panels) and the stripes are a little too much for me. It was good for the price $3 a b.f. (even better for me since my Dad paid for the load and I just took a few boards off the pile) compared to the $6 a b.f. for South American at Steve Wall Lumber. I think the next few projects I'm going to try Walnut, since I can get that locally.

Bob Noles
07-15-2005, 5:50 PM
Ernie,

First off that is a spectacular pice of work. You are a true craftsman and I thank you for sharing with us.

2nd, I see you are from the town I spent srveral of my teenage years growing up in. That was a long time ago and I'm sure so much has changed.

lou sansone
07-15-2005, 5:53 PM
real nice work. those big pieces seem to take for ever. Looks good. I agree with your assessment on the stock selection. I have come to believe that the first time you build a piece is really a learing experience and if you were to build a second identical one it would be even better. So what is next ?

lou

Ernie Hobbs
07-15-2005, 6:13 PM
I have come to believe that the first time you build a piece is really a learing experience and if you were to build a second identical one it would be even better. So what is next ?

lou

The next project is a federal card table with inlay. If Rob Millard is reading, I may be asking for advice.

Calvin Hobbs
07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Ernie,

Impressive work bro! Correct me if I am wrong but throughout the project I talked with you a bunch, I don't think you have nearly that much time in it.

I like the finish a lot, I am going to experiment with your schedule when and if I complete my next project.

I also like the ribbon stripes in the african, and would be tempted to use it, at least for drawer fronts or the like. Can't wait to see it up close in person.

Keep it up and I now feel the pressure to keep up with the family name.

Cal

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Very, very nice. :)

KC

Kelly C. Hanna
07-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Wow, very nice, especially the dovetails! I also love the finish...looks great!

Dan Forman
07-16-2005, 3:44 AM
Bravo!! Well worth the many hours spent.

Dan

Michael Gibbons
07-16-2005, 9:13 AM
Like your choice of wood ,Ernie. Also like those dovetails. They set projects apart from others.

Mike