PDA

View Full Version : Tables: How do I know what I'm getting?

Chris Yarish
07-15-2005, 10:26 AM
I have long been wanting to design and make my own dining room table. Circumstances have brought me to have to purchase one, but I am finding that I can not determine exactly what the table is made of.
Many times they will be "Solid Oak and veneer", which I understand to be a veneered top with solid oak legs and other small parts.

So I guess my question is:
Although a veneered surface is desirable and understandable from many angles, what are the chances of the substrate being made of "solid wood" also (as opposed to a standard plywood variety core).

Thanks

Dave Brandt
07-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Here's my guess...slim to none!

Ellen Benkin
07-15-2005, 11:10 AM
It depends on where you bought it. I've had a table for about 20 years that I bought from a place called Plummers, which sells stuff a step up from Ikea. The top is MDF (or something like that) with a teak veneer. It is functional but nothing special. It was also VERY inexpensive!.

Dale Rodabaugh
07-15-2005, 11:11 AM
I went thru this a few years back.I wanted a solid oak dining room set.I looked all over NE Ohio and NW Penn.looking for one.I finally found one in a furniture store,close to home.It is solid oak.,no veneer.It wasnt cheap but I got what I wanted.Keep looking.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Tom Saurer
07-15-2005, 11:32 AM
My wife and I bought an Amish made dining room table and chairs. There is no veneer or plywood in it. All oak. The price we paid was little more then the price of something at a furniture store. The table also has a 6/4 thick top.

Jason Tuinstra
07-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Chris, frustrating isn't it? When we moved into our house, we were going to buy a table so that we could have something to fill the spot "right now." My wife loved a table from Pottery Barn, but when you looked at the fine print, the table top was mdf covered with veneer for over a thousand bucks delievered. Ouch! No way! So I built one out of <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21929" TARGET="_blank">solid cherry</A></EM></font> for much cheaper (minus all the Festool purchases I made along the way :D), in a style/design I prefer. So if you really want a solid table, you might want to "make do" for now until you're able to build one yourself. Just my .02 and/or "loonie."

Jim O'Dell
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
We had to do the same thing last year because I still don't have my shop up up and running yet. We found a company out of Canada called Canadel at a local furniture store. You can do a search on the name and find their web site. You pick the table shape, the edge profile, size, finish, type of wood (not many choices here) , then the same thing on the chairs, down to wood seating surface, or material, then which material from a couple big books. Order it, and it's built to your specs. All solid woods, very nice construction. If you like, let me know and I'll snap a picture or 2 and send to you. It wasn't cheap, but it is very good quality-no veneers. We've had ours about 8 months now and love it. It is a slightly modern twist on mission styling in a medium oak wood/finish. Jim

Ed Blough
07-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Chris

You said, "I have long been wanting to design and make my own dining room table. Circumstances have brought me to have to purchase one, but I am finding that I can not determine exactly what the table is made of."

If you can't tell neither can anyone else so if you like it and the price is right buy it.

The only reason I would worry about construction material is durability and cost. In most cases durability isn't any issue with dining room tables unless you have wild parties with people dancing on the table.

Now cost is another issue. I sure don't want to pay solid cherry prices for a table made of MDF and veneered with a cherry look alike photo film. To prevent that I do try to do two things. I don't look for something for nothing. In other words if it solid cherry I expect to pay solid cherry prices, on the other hand if it is MDF I expect to pay MDF prices. If I walk into the store filled with signs touting solid cherry and having MDF prices I walk out. Also if I walk into a store with obvious MDF sporting solid cherry prices I walk out. In other words I look for an honest store.

The other thing I do is inspect construction. If corner braces and sub blocks are wood I can pretty much guess the general construction is wood. If the cornor braces are steel or MDF I figure the there is MDF in there. Also pull the table apart as if adding a leaf. the edge that is exposes should reveal what the top is made of. Also look at the bottom of the legs usually this isn't stained and you can see how it is made. Lastly how is the table top held on to the rest of the table. If there is provision for wood movement you can guess it is solid wood if it is screwed or glued tight it probably ply or MDF.

All of these tests can be counterfeited that is why it is so important to deal with an honest dealer. Talk to him awhile see if you catch him in a lie if you can you can bet he will lie again or cheat you.

Incidently I have seen some things made of MDF that are fantastic and will probably last for the next 400 years. Few if any of us could tell it was MDf unless we actually cut into the surface. I have also seen some things made of solid wood that look like they were made by a raw novice and I would guess would break in the next week or so.

Chris Yarish
07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I really have no problem with something being MDF, or plywood...and sometimes the aesthetic qualities of the veneers are superior to what I'd be getting from solid wood table.
Just like many of you have mentioned, there is nothing wrong with a non-solid-wood table, so long as it's price lies in accordance with it's materials and the dealer is being honest with what you are purchasing.
I have been misled by some dealers, and I don't think it's wholly intentional. Some of these people are simply part timers and couldn't care less, or know any better. When they see "solid wood" they assume that it's through and through, and have no idea what the veneer portion of the description entails.

I will continue my hunt because I am looking for something both durable and solid in construction.
Thanks for all your input.

Dan Stuewe
07-15-2005, 1:25 PM
We have Canadel dining room and kitchen tables too. We bought ours through Homestead House. We are very happy with the quality.

Just my .02 and/or "loonie."

Jason, give our Canadian friends a break, one loonie is worth .82 ;)

Either way, your opinion is worth upwards of a toonie!! :D

Jason Tuinstra
07-15-2005, 1:54 PM
Dan - point taken! :D :p Forgot the exchange rate.

Total side note - I love going to church in Canada. When the offering is passed around all you hear is the sound of loonies and toonies in the collection plate. Not as quiet as an offering in the States. But I digress. :)

scott spencer
07-15-2005, 2:49 PM
Solid wood tables should still be available. We bought a solid ash dining set 8 or 9 years ago from S. Bent. It wasn't cheap but it wasn't outrageous either. There are probably several good brand names around.

You might even find a fellow wwer who can make one to your specs if you're not able to do it yourself right now.