PDA

View Full Version : A1 cherry 4x8 ply, 1/4" w/ mdf core in the MD / DC area

Jay Selway
11-11-2014, 1:44 PM
Hey guys,I'm having a heck of a time finding this anywhere. I tried Chesapeake Plywood, but they can't get A1 unless I buy 100 sheets. Anybody got any thoughts on a place to pick this up in smaller quantities (1-5 sheets at a time)?Thanks

Larry Fox
11-11-2014, 3:01 PM
Can you order it through your local Woodcraft and have it delivered to them? I have done that locally with single sheets or a small(ish) batch and there is not much of a vig on it for delivery. That sheet is probably going to run you close to $150 if memory serves.

Apologies on the price estimate - I didn't read closely enough to see you were looking for 1/4" I thought you were looking for 3/4" veneer-core which is what I tend to use a lot of.

Also - if you are willing to travel to either Reading PA or New Castle Delaware for it there is Russell Plywood which I have bought a lot of material from and always been very satisfied with.

J.R. Rutter
11-11-2014, 4:15 PM
I pay $75-80/ea for that from my local suppliers. Some carry both 5.2mm and true 1/4" (which seems more like 6mm). It was actually easier to find the sort of company that sold this stuff back when I still had a metro yellow pages on my desk...

Phil Thien
11-11-2014, 4:19 PM
I was once told (when I was trying to find some) that A1 in 1/4" is a bit of an oddity. I thought about it and realized most shops would use 1/4" for cabinet backs. I had figured it would be used for door panels but later figured out 1/2" actually works better.

What are you using it for?

Jay Selway
11-11-2014, 4:22 PM
I was once told (when I was trying to find some) that A1 in 1/4" is a bit of an oddity. I thought about it and realized most shops would use 1/4" for cabinet backs. I had figured it would be used for door panels but later figured out 1/2" actually works better.

What are you using it for?

Using it for laser engraving / cutting.

Walter Plummer
11-11-2014, 5:53 PM
Try these guys. Used to be Allied Plywood. http://marketing.a-msupply.com/web_sales/index.php

Bill Orbine
11-11-2014, 6:05 PM
Fessenden Hall is a possibility. One location in Dover, Delaware. Couple in NJ.

Atlantic Plywood maybe too far for you (or them) but worth pursuing. Serves areas closer to NY metro areas with one lcacation near Giants Stadium in Carlstadt, NJ.

Make good friends with a local cabinet shop.... they are probably your best help.

Jim Becker
11-11-2014, 8:54 PM
Try Industrial Plywood in Reading PA...

Jay Selway
11-11-2014, 9:31 PM
Thanks guys!

Walter Plummer
11-11-2014, 10:27 PM
I just had another thought. Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield. Give them a call. http://www.colonialhardwoods.com/

Stuart Kern
11-12-2014, 9:55 AM
I talked to Middletown Lumber, Middletown PA, 800-828-4005, http://www.middletownlumber.com, on ash plywood on a current job. In the end they couldn't get what I needed (A1 or A2 both sides), but seemed good to work with.