PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing File?????

guy young
11-11-2014, 1:11 PM
I guess this is the right forum for this post. I am so impressed with this file that is not a file; I wanted to share it with those who have never tried one.
While looking through a Lee Valley catalog, I ran across a Smoothing file, something I never heard of. After looking at the photo, I said that is a body file, a file used to file metal and lead down very quickly during body work to a car. I went to my auto body tool box and pulled out my old body file for the 80's; it's a perfect match. I did a Google search for it to find a review, no reviews were found.

I then tried to file a piece of poplar and much to my surprise it smoothed it like scraper would, but much faster. This file is very sharp and I have cut myself many times when doing body work with it. So I expected it to tare the wood to pieces, it was a gentle as a lamp. Than tried it on Sapele and other boards. I than grabbed a cutting board out of the kitchen that I was planning on scraping smooth again; since the beeswax and oil clog up the sandpaper. Cut fast and fine, cleaned easily.

This file works great, like a power scraper (without the power) fast and easy. If any of you guys do scraping you need to look at this file.

Kevin Bourque
11-11-2014, 2:18 PM
I'm intrigued. I've been looking for something like this for a while now.