PDA

View Full Version : What would a fair offer be?

Stuart Ensor
11-11-2014, 10:24 AM
I have the chance to buy a Dewalt DW708 Double Bevel Compound Miter Saw (Condition 9 out of 10), the Delta Universal Miter Saw Table it is attached to (Condition 10 out of 10), and a Sanborn Cast Iron Series 30 gal belt drive air compressor(Condition 10 out of 10). All of these were purchased new by the gentleman I would be buying from and went directly to his very nice basement shop. What would be fair (to him and me) offers for these?

Marty Tippin
11-11-2014, 10:53 AM
The DW708 is frequently offered at the big box stores, packaged with a free DeWalt stand (usually your choice of the portable stand similar to the Delta you reference, or with the "heavy duty" stand that is a bit less portable). So I'd factor that into your offer. When the package deal is available, you'll get a $600 saw with a free $175 stand. That makes any stand with that saw hard to pay extra for.

If the items are more than a few years old, I wouldn't offer much more than half of retail, regardless of condition. About $350 for the saw, maybe $50 for the stand and maybe $175 for the compressor is all I'd offer.

Stuart Ensor
11-11-2014, 11:06 AM
I believe that the DW708 with the stacked sliders vs side by side is no longer manufactured. One of the reasons I am asking about this saw is I have seen posts where this older version is preferred over the newer designs.

Stuart Ensor
11-11-2014, 1:53 PM
Well I called him up and offered $450 for the saw, stand and compressor and he agreed. So now I need to make space for it all.

Tom M King
11-11-2014, 6:25 PM
That's the slider I've been using since they first came out with it. I don't remember when that was, but I never touched any adjustment on it, and it still cuts dead on accurate.

Yonak Hawkins
11-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Congratulations. It looks like a win for both buyer and seller.

Stuart Ensor
11-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks, it all will get good use and continue to be well taken care of. What do you all think of the Sanborn Cast Iron Series 30 gal belt drive air compressor in terms of performance and longevity/reliability?