PDA

View Full Version : Table saw blades

Shane Copps
11-11-2014, 9:56 AM
Is it worth trying to find someone to sharpen blades? I have a pile of them that I either need to get rid of or get sharpened so I can use them. Sharpening should be cheaper, right?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Matt Day
11-11-2014, 10:13 AM
It depends what blades you have. If you have a Forrest, then yes. If you have Harbor a Freight blades, then no. I think it costs about $10 to sharpen a blade around here.

David Eisenhauer
11-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Trolling? I'll bite, you can send them to Ballew Saw in Missouri. I believe their phone is 1 800 CUT RITE but they have a website as well.

cody michael
11-11-2014, 10:27 AM
around where I live they charge by the tooth, I think it is in the 8-10 dollar range for most blades. like they said if you have a decent blade it is worth it, if you blade cost less then sharpening then its not.

glenn bradley
11-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Good blades have adequate carbide to allow a number of sharpenings. I have some that are on their 5th life. Using one blade as an example; let's say it was about $100. Over the years I have spent another $100 in sharpening fees for a total of 6 "new" blades. A blade of that quality for about $34 is a great deal so it will depend on what you have. For $100 blade to be made new again, $20 isn't a bad deal. If it was a $20 blade to begin with, the benefits are not as nice. If you have to pay shipping, the benefits continue to reduce. Do the math, if it makes sense, go for it.

Peter Quinn
11-11-2014, 12:33 PM
My skill saw blades go in the metal scrap bin...everything else gets sharpened. I don't buy any blades for the shop where disposal is cheaper than sharpening, so for me it's a no brainer. Get a quote to make the decision simple.

Peter Kelly
11-11-2014, 2:03 PM
http://dynamicsaw.com/pricelist.html

Kent A Bathurst
11-11-2014, 2:06 PM
My skill saw blades go in the metal scrap bin...everything else gets sharpened. I don't buy any blades for the shop where disposal is cheaper than sharpening, so for me it's a no brainer. Get a quote to make the decision simple.

Bingo.

With one caveat - I do have one Forrest for my PC 314. That dude don't get tossed either. Blades for my old Crapsman circ saw do get tossed.

Chris Hachet
11-11-2014, 2:07 PM
I buy really premium blades and I have a phenomenal sharpening service. Just spent big bucks for a Tenryu blade for my miter saw. It is money I would spend again.

To me, I build a few pieces of furniture a eyar and do home improvement. My blades will go a number olf years before they need re sharpened.

FWIW my Forrest blades seem to cut better resharpened than they do from the factory.

Micheal Roth
11-11-2014, 6:23 PM
http://dynamicsaw.com/pricelist.html

+1 for dynamic saw. They come back better than new!

Bruce Wrenn
11-11-2014, 8:56 PM
http://dynamicsaw.com/pricelist.html+ 3 for Dynamic. Put them in a "flat rate box" from the post office. Have dynamic call you when they receive them, and give then CC info over phone. UPS guy will bring them back. Be sure and wrap edges (12" blades) with some vinyl tubing, which has been split. 10" blades can be fastened into a piece of plywood with hole routed in center to restrain blades during shipment.

Shane Copps
11-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Trolling? I'll bite, you can send them to Ballew Saw in Missouri. I believe their phone is 1 800 CUT RITE but they have a website as well.

Dave,

Not trolling, I guess Im just trying to get a feel for what everyone else does and hopefully get a better handle on what I want to do.

I ended up with a BUNCH of saw blades with a used saw I bought and they are super dull. When I bought my skill saw and benchtop table saw I had picked up a few blades for each and as I haven't done much hard cutting- they lasted a long time. Now I am working with harder and thicker wood and realized these blades are pretty dull also. I really don't think any of them are high dollar blades.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Shane

Kent A Bathurst
11-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Dave,

Not trolling, I guess Im just trying to get a feel for what everyone else does and hopefully get a better handle on what I want to do.

I ended up with a BUNCH of saw blades with a used saw I bought and they are super dull. When I bought my skill saw and benchtop table saw I had picked up a few blades for each and as I haven't done much hard cutting- they lasted a long time. Now I am working with harder and thicker wood and realized these blades are pretty dull also. I really don't think any of them are high dollar blades.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Shane

Shane - keep this in mind: The analogy is a car - the ONE thing on my vehicles that must be in top condition is the tires. The entire rest of that machine is there to deliver power and friction to those 4 contact surfaces where "the rubber meets the road."

The blade on your TS is the functional equivalent. No matter what else is going on, when the blade meets the wood, you need to be in good shape. You are trying to cut wood. You cannot do that with mickey-mouse blades, nor blades in lousy condition.

Terry Beadle
11-12-2014, 12:49 PM
I use those diamond paddles to touch up the carbide on my router bits and table saw blades.

Example: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/eze-lapdiamondpaddleset5.aspx cost is $35 for five but I just buy the three set.

Just be careful to follow the existing bevels and angles and the blade should cut almost as well as new.

Enjoy the shavings