PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale finds

steven c newman
11-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Ok, awhile back, found a garage sale selling a Skil router table. Meh $20, with a bunch of accessories, of course. Had a router from Sears i thought might fit. Finally got around to trying to fit things together...router base would not tear down enough to allow a fit. Router was too big, anyway. Bummer.....

Last week, at a "Moving day sale" with "barn finds" in it. Picked a B&D 2720 Industrial Heavy duty 1/4" router for.....$3

these four items cost me $9. Took the base plate off of the router....had to pry it off, lots of drywall dust caked in there. Used the base plate as a pattern to drill three new mounting holes in the router table's top. Then counter sink them. Tried to center the base plate as best as I could. Screws are on the small size side. Very small. Finally got the router attached to the table
Not too bad? I do NOT like the short cord on the table's switch. went and hooked up the router's cord to an outlet, and turned the router on... it worked fine!
Dug out the miter gauge that came with the table
Found out the gauge is a POS. Might make my own. Tool box at my "Day Job" provided the two wrenches to loosen/tighten the collet. A look at the screws
They are there, just a wee bit small. So, now I have a $20 router table, with $3 router hanging from it. Fence does have a way to hook a shop vac to it. This is about the right size for the Dungeon Shop. ala Norm Abram? Found out that Skil and B&D weren't exactly the same thing, back then. NONE of the bolt holes were even close to the three on the B&D router.

Looks like i need to mke a small bench to sit this on.....

Tom Henderson2
11-11-2014, 1:08 AM
I have a Craftsman router table that I bought in ~1982 that looks to be very similar although yours has a much better fence than mine.

I just clamp a straight board to the table in lieu of a fence. Basic setup for basic tasks.

-Tom in SoCal