PDA

View Full Version : Painting Laser Blak

tony mazzone
11-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I have a customer that I make hang tags for out of gold Laser Blak. The back is silver so I sand it an spray paint with gold Rustoleum paint. After engraving the sheet I cut it to 1 1/2 x 3 pieces. The paint on some of the edges peels. Can anyone recommend a better paint or primer or different way to prep? Thanks

Ross Moshinsky
11-11-2014, 8:38 AM
We have laminated a piece of material on the back of the laser black to make it look finished, essentially making a 3 ply material. Obviously the cost of material increases, but the time saved and presentation are worth looking at. JDS has a cheap chinese sublimatable gold alum with a matt finish that might be a economical alternative.

Bob WrightNC
11-11-2014, 4:18 PM
Tony, not trying to shift the topic, but do you use any kind of registration for cutting these hang tags? Sounds like something I'd like to do but am wondering about registration. Thanks.

Chris J Anderson
11-11-2014, 7:03 PM
Try giving it a 'light' coat of etch primer first, it can make an amazing difference to how well paint 'sticks'...

Also great for aluminium / plastics etc.

tony mazzone
11-12-2014, 2:23 PM
Thanks Chris. I just bought the etching primer and will try it this week.

Bob, I'm not sure what you mean about registration. I only do these once in awhile for one customer