PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Dilemma

John Hardy
11-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi all!

I am helping form a woodworking cooperative in Little Rock, Arkansas. We have been renovating a 10,000 square foot building near downtown and are starting to move in a few machines. We purchased a great 25" Northfield planer at auction and are now looking for a good companion jointer. There is a dearth of nice heavy woodworking machinery for sale in this part of the country. Shipping costs make buying a 2,000 pound machine in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or California quite painful. I have found a 16" Czech-made Rojek jointer in new condition at a great price (for new), but have been wanting something like an old Oliver, Powermatic or Northfield.

I'm writing (first post!) for 2 reasons: To ask if anyone knows of a used 12-16" jointer somewhere near the middle of the country (3 phase is fine); and to ask for opinions on the Rojek jointer. This is not a combo machine, its a 16", 3 phase, 6 hp jointer with a 102" bed.

All comments welcome!

Bob Cooper
11-10-2014, 10:20 PM
John I may have a very nice 12" Moak jointer and a large Dewalt RAS for sale.

John Hardy
11-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks Bob, a 12" Moak would fit the bill, depending on price of course, but shipping could be a killer. Please send me a private post re asking price, etc., thanks!

David Kumm
11-10-2014, 11:13 PM
I've not seen a Rojek but look for EMA, Fortis, Zefam, Kirchfeld, Polamco. All made at the same factory Poland. Very heavy and well made. Rojek MIGHT be similar. For old iron, add Porter, American, and Yates to your choices. Powermatic did not make a large jointer equal to the others. Dave