PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee M12 Fuel driver drill vs hammer drill

Tom Henderson2
11-10-2014, 7:46 PM
I'm shopping for a new cordless drill, and the Milwaukee M12 Fuel series is on the short list.

I have no need for a hammer drill, but looking at the specs, I don't see much downside to buying the hammer drill version; it is comparable in cost, size weight, etc.

So... not having used the cordless hammer drills, would I "lose" any driver/drill capability by going with the hammer version? Size, weight and speed appear identical. So would there be any drawback to buying the hammer version?

The hammer version is available locally while the non-hammer version is not.

Here's the driver-drill version (2403):
http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-2403-22-m12-fuel-12v-cordless-lithium-ion-1-2-in--drill-driver/miln2403-22,default,pd.html?1

And here's the hammer-drill version (2404):
http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-2404-22-m12-fuel-12v-cordless-lithium-ion-1-2-in--hammer-drill-driver/miln2404-22,default,pd.html?start=1&q=2404

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-Tom in SoCal

Dan Rude
11-11-2014, 1:16 AM
I have the non-fuel m12 both hammer and regular m12 drill. The hammer is fine for the occasional tapcon, but if you are doing a lot of them it is not. I got mine as part of a kit. If you are looking for a drill the fuel is still a good deal. I have the fuel m12 impact, I actually picked up another when they had the extra m12 4 amp hour battery with it. It was cheaper than buying the 3 batteries. These are my go to drivers for most things now. If I need to drill holes in concrete I use my Bosh rotary Hammer. Hope this helps. Dan

Clint Baxter
11-11-2014, 6:31 AM
As Dan stated, the hammer drills are not real functional compared to an actual rotary hammer, which you can get in cordless as well. I think the impact driver is a better tool than the hammer drill and, while costing more, provides the most bang for the buck.

If you want to use the drill for driving screws, the hammer drill won't be near as functional. Your selection should be dictated by your intended usage.

Good luck with whichever choice you make.

Clint

John Coloccia
11-11-2014, 7:05 AM
I'm assuming you can turn off the hammer function. If so, I don't see that is much matters. I'd bet money that they're identical inside and the only thing that's different is the drill version lacks whatever external thing you flip that sets it to hammer.

David Weaver
11-11-2014, 7:36 AM
I'd buy the non-hammer version. I haven't managed to make anything but noise with small hammer drills, and electric hammer drills are cheap if you just need something to drill holes in the wall or small holes in concrete or brick. The things you'll want to do the odd times you run into the need for a hammer drill are going to be too big for that.

Matt Day
11-11-2014, 7:37 AM
All the drills I've seen in this class can turn off/on the hammer drill. I love having mine since I have cmu walls in the basement. I wouldn't be without it.

Tom Henderson2
11-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks everybody-- I appreciate your thoughts.