PDA

View Full Version : Putting knob on dome lid

allan kuntz
11-10-2014, 7:35 PM
I am planning on turning a butter dish with a dome lid. I want to put a knob on the dome and am wondering do you leave the top a bit thicker so the dowel of the knob does not show up on the inside. Or do you add some sort of
plate on the top of the dome and drill out for the knob dowel
and blend it in
Al

Thom Sturgill
11-10-2014, 7:50 PM
The possibilities are endless.

I like having a surprise on the inside of boxes so I have been known to use three pieces, one T shaped that goes on the inside with the leg pointing up sticking through a hole leaving a tenon proud. The knob then glues to this tenon with the top being the meat in a sandwich. Use a contrasting wood for the inside button.

I have also used a stone or silver charm inlayed into the inside top to hide the dowel and I have just left the dowel visible or made the hole shallow so that the dowel does not show. The last tends to require either a very short tenon, or a thickened top.

Shawn Pachlhofer
11-10-2014, 8:01 PM
you could turn a tenon on top of the top - then turn your knob with a recess to fit the tenon

Jon Nuckles
11-11-2014, 1:55 PM
If you turn the lid with a face grain orientation and turn a tenon as Shawn suggests, the tenon will be short grain and weak. Might not be a problem for a lid on a butter dish, but be aware of the issue.

John Keeton
11-11-2014, 2:07 PM
I do a lot of lidded bowls, and I typically use a 7/8" shallow hole in the top of the lid as a recess into which I expand 20mm chuck jaws in order to finish off the underside of the lid. Then, that is the recess into which I glue the knob/finial, etc. that is done with a 7/8" tenon - long grain.