PDA

View Full Version : PSI Captive Tool Rest.

Stan Smith
11-10-2014, 3:37 PM
I have a 1221vs and hollow small boxes, vases, and bowls. I saw this tool for $22 and thought it might be useful for my Harrison hollowing tools since they are square shaped. I was thinking of straight sides in particular. Here's the url.

http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LCCAP&trk_msg=KJBHN5T5BOR4VCOSMC0KGHDUA0&trk_contact=Q2VCAIU27NL6UDPEQNFOO07EF8&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Interested+P3&utm_campaign=Recs+Evergreen&utm_content=Evergreen+11.9.14

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this tool rest or comments. For $22, I might just give it a try anyway. Thanks for any info.

Joe Kaufman
11-10-2014, 5:47 PM
Check your lathe to see if a 3 in tool post will be sufficient to get your tool on centerline. On a Jet 12-20, The previous model, I feel that 3 inches is too short.

Stan Smith
11-10-2014, 6:02 PM
Thanks Joe. I had not thought of doing that. Good idea.

Shawn Pachlhofer
11-10-2014, 6:25 PM
I see this as a very bad idea.

if you get a catch - bad things will happen very quickly.

Doug W Swanson
11-10-2014, 6:49 PM
I see this as a very bad idea.

if you get a catch - bad things will happen very quickly.

I'm no expert but I'm not sure I agree with you. There are many hollowing tools that rely on the same principal as this tool. They just hold the tool in a different spot....

Thom Sturgill
11-10-2014, 7:28 PM
The purpose of this tool is to prevent catches by forcing the tool presentation into a safe mode. At least two other tool makers make similar devices. The Carter Roller uses your tool rest and mounts behind it. JT Turning tools has a very similar device that they sell with a cutter or separately.

My problem with this would be its construction - the ad says 'cast iron' and that *could* mean brittle. Good ductile iron would be OK, but it needs to be ductile - that means able to deform under stress rather than break. At that price point, I tend to doubt that it is other than untreated cast iron. Steel would be better but also more expensive. I believe JT's tool is about $90 and Carters is $260 or so and includes rollers.

Stan Smith
11-10-2014, 7:47 PM
There are a number of different systems that have mentioned on here. I was looking at the Harrison system the other day. It's $150 with no tools and it has a laser light that shows where the tool is on the inside. I'm not at the point where I need or want to go that route though since I do much smaller stuff. I'm think that the psi captive rest will help with my berger tool also.

@Joe. I just measured most of my tool rest posts and they are all approximately 3". A few are a little less. The entire length of the outside of the tool rest holder is 3 3/16". I haven't had any problems reaching center with the rests that I have and most of the time I have the rest set slightly higher than center. However, you caused me to go back for another look at the psi ad and the max. tool thickness is 3/8th's. My Harrison tools have a 1/2" shaft so they won't work in psi's captive rest. Looks like you saved me $22 plus shipping. Thanks!

Stan Smith
11-10-2014, 7:52 PM
The purpose of this tool is to prevent catches by forcing the tool presentation into a safe mode. At least two other tool makers make similar devices. The Carter Roller uses your tool rest and mounts behind it. JT Turning tools has a very similar device that they sell with a cutter or separately.

My problem with this would be its construction - the ad says 'cast iron' and that *could* mean brittle. Good ductile iron would be OK, but it needs to be ductile - that means able to deform under stress rather than break. At that price point, I tend to doubt that it is other than untreated cast iron. Steel would be better but also more expensive. I believe JT's tool is about $90 and Carters is $260 or so and includes rollers.

Sorry, I was writing a post when yours posted. You are very astute and I don't want anything made from "pot metal" either. They need to go back to the drawing board and come up with something more substantial even if they double the price. Safety first as they say.. Sure glad I posted on here rather than acting on impulse.

Harry Robinette
11-10-2014, 8:26 PM
I use a box tool rest a stem with a plate on the top, it's pictured just below the one on the url you posted I think they call it an EZ flat top tool rest.

Stan Smith
11-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Harry. I needed a reminder. I have those, but I forgot about them because I bought them for another purpose and then never got to it. They may be too wide for small stuff, but I'll sure give them a try on bigger stuff. I just wish I could find a cure for CRS. :)

Bill Boehme
11-11-2014, 10:21 AM
The ad says that the captive rest allows you to be more aggressive in hollowing -- that is just the opposite of what you should be doing. You're using a mini lathe, using hand held tools, and making small items so I can't imagine how this captive rest could be useful. I can see plenty of ways that it could be an encumbrance. If you are a brand new beginner then this rest might be useful for a couple hours before it goes into the junk box.

Stan Smith
11-11-2014, 7:12 PM
The ad says that the captive rest allows you to be more aggressive in hollowing -- that is just the opposite of what you should be doing. You're using a mini lathe, using hand held tools, and making small items so I can't imagine how this captive rest could be useful. I can see plenty of ways that it could be an encumbrance. If you are a brand new beginner then this rest might be useful for a couple hours before it goes into the junk box.

Thanks for the post, Bill. I'm not a brand new beginner, but I confess that I've spent more time making pens than anything else. I want to move on to other things now. I used to have a mini lathe, but now I have a Jet midi. I can do bigger ( and longer) projects on it. I'm sticking pretty much to small stuff though. I really don't want a bigger lathe nor do I have room for one. I may still get a a captive tool rest some day, but one that is made with steel. Harry suggested the flat top tool rests and I already have a couple of those that I think will work for some small boxes. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm getting a carbide swan neck hollower. I'm just learning about hollowing deeper vessels. I have a ways to go before I will be competent doing them.