PDA

View Full Version : Plane and saw till progress

Daniel Rode
11-10-2014, 1:19 PM
I've been working on this in the background for a few weeks now but it's finally starting to look like something. It's about 90% complete.

My idea was to be able to store my most used planes and backsaws withing arms reach of my bench. I drew up the plan in shetchup and the final product is pretty close to what I drew. For now, "most used" is all my planes and saws as I don't have many. The entire thing is made from home center pine.

It will be wall hung once complete. I wanted to keep the projection from the wall as small as possible. It's about 10" deep, if IIRC. It's big enough to fit a #6, #5 1/2, #5, a pair of #4s, a block and my router plane. As for saws, It should be able to hold about 5 back saws.

It's mostly made with hand tools but I used power stuff where it made sense or where I lacked the appropriate hand tool.

David Eisenhauer
11-10-2014, 1:43 PM
Nice, simple, to-the-point, clean work. May as well get started on the next one to butt up against the side of this one because there is no way you stop at a 6, 5-1/2, 5 and a couple of 4's. It can't be done.

Tom Vanzant
11-10-2014, 2:18 PM
Very nice till Daniel. The slope looks to be about the same as my till. You may find the #4s are a bit "tippy"... I used 3/8" rare earth magnets, roughly under the front knob, to keep the planes in place.

Daniel Rode
11-10-2014, 2:21 PM
Very nice till Daniel. The slope looks to be about the same as my till. You may find the #4s are a bit "tippy"... I used 3/8" rare earth magnets, roughly under the front knob, to keep the planes in place.

The magnets are a nice idea. Thanks!

Patrick Harper
11-10-2014, 2:45 PM
Very nice! I want to do something similar, but I may add some doors to store chisels, etc. and keep the dust out.

Is the back of the plane till made from plywood? How do you plan to hang it?

Malcolm Schweizer
11-10-2014, 3:01 PM
Love it. I love the setup Lie-Nielsen uses in their trade shows. When I get a shop big enough I would like to have a huge saw/plane till on the wall opposite my bench, but (a.) I don't have room, and (b.) I also worry about rust having the planes exposed. I deal with a lot of humidity. Otherwise, I think this is the best storage for easy grabbing of the tool you need.

Tom Vanzant, consider the rare earth magnet idea stolen shamelessly if I ever build one.

Daniel Rode
11-10-2014, 3:18 PM
No plywood.

The back is made up of 6 separate shiplap pieces. I used a 1/4 lap joint and spaced them about halfway (based on the time of year) to allow expansion and contraction. The 2 end pieces are glued to the sides, everything else is screwed.

Very nice! I want to do something similar, but I may add some doors to store chisels, etc. and keep the dust out.

Is the back of the plane till made from plywood? How do you plan to hang it?

Patrick Harper
11-10-2014, 3:33 PM
Daniel,

I can see the ship lapped back for the entire assembly. Is the angled floor for the plane section ship-lap, or one solid piece?

Jim Koepke
11-10-2014, 4:12 PM
Daniel,

I can see the ship lapped back for the entire assembly. Is the angled floor for the plane section ship-lap, or one solid piece?

It looks like it is a few joined pieces.

He mentions "home center pine." I have never seen that in non-glued pieces any wider than about 11".

My problem with building such a thing as just when a design gets to the final stage, another tool shows up.

I would hate to have to stop making a home for all the strays.

jtk

Daniel Rode
11-10-2014, 4:16 PM
The till base is one piece. It floats in the dados and is attached to the back and shelf with a screw in the center. At 15 1/2" it *should* have enough room to move. Eastern while pine doesn't move much seasonally compare to other common woods, so I'm probably fine. I thought about running the grain on the other direction, but that has some issues as well.

Honestly, plywood for the back and the till bottom would have been more practical but I wanted to use solid wood.

Daniel,

Pat Barry
11-10-2014, 4:20 PM
Nice job Dan! Seriously want to see it completed and loaded up

Steve Voigt
11-10-2014, 4:21 PM
That looks really good, Dan!
Now, where are you going to put the other 9,990 tools? :D

Daniel Rode
11-10-2014, 4:27 PM
I gave this some thought when I did the design. I'm sure I'll have more planes and saws in the future, but I don't think I'll need to have more than 5 at arms reach. The reminder can be stored a couple paces away :)

I sized the sections of the plane till to be a bit versatile as well. For example, I don't own a 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 today but I can fit one in if needed.

My problem with building such a thing as just when a design gets to the final stage, another tool shows up.

Will Boulware
11-10-2014, 4:27 PM
I like the design and the execution both. This is a nice piece of work! Be sure to update us when you finish it. I'm sure it'll turn out nicely!

Brian Holcombe
11-10-2014, 4:43 PM
Nice work Daniel! I love it and the saw bench.

Daniel Rode
11-10-2014, 8:52 PM
Everyone here probably knows how a shiplap back is made and why, but I figure I'd post a couple pictures anyway.

A simple half lap joint runs along the edges. The far left and far right sit in the case rabbets, so are left alone. As simple as it seems, it's easy to make mistakes on the layout. Space is left between each board. The spacing depends on the time of the year and the local conditions. Build tight in the winter, loose in the summer is the rule of thumb. It's fall in NE Ohio, so as much art as science in that calculation. The pine acclimated for several weeks in my heated shop, so it's as stable as it's going to get.

Here's a edge shot of some scraps I used refine the depth. 1/4" x 1/4" rabbets on 1/2" think stock. I left about 3/16" between each board.

Here's the back fully assembled. The sides are glued into the case rabbets and the ends are square fit snugly. This is important because they keep the case square. Everything else is attached with a screw in the center. I also made sure to tag the divider and shelf with screws.

Daniel Rode
11-10-2014, 8:54 PM
The saw bench design is mostly copied from one Judson Green posted here. I use it all the time and even for sawing sometimes :)

Nice work Daniel! I love it and the saw bench.

Joe A Faulkner
11-10-2014, 8:58 PM
Very Nice. I started one a month or so back, but haven't made near the progress you've made. Christmas projects are now taking priority.

Frederick Skelly
11-10-2014, 9:36 PM

Nice till Dan! I second Tom's advice on the rare earth magnets. My small shoulder plane fell out twice and I was lucky it wasnt damaged. A small rare earth magnet solved that!
Fred

Peter Pedisich
11-10-2014, 9:48 PM
Wonderful design and execution.
-pete