PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
11-10-2014, 2:17 AM
10 Nov 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
I'm up late working on "work stuff" because I'm oncall until 8 AM, so I thought I get a head start on the weekend accomplishments. :)

The MIL has a couple more things she wants me to do in her apartment that we added on to our house. I will try and get those done this coming week. I'm going to get the trim work done in the garage this week as well as start cleaning the shop up "again" so I can get my youngest son (17) in the shop to teach him how to turn wood on the lathe.
I'm about to wrap up a problem at work and will head to bed when that's fixed.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Chris Hachet
11-10-2014, 9:19 AM
Cleaned the work shop back out to be useable.

Repaired several items around the house, repaired trim in my upstairs hallway. Set chair rail and door casing in the second bathroom upstairs. Repaired the threshold in the hardwood floor going to the master bath.

Set up the router lift in the router table. been putting this off since February as I have been doing mostly hand tool wood working.

Tried out my new Bontz sash saw on the polar I was using for the bathroom trim.

Looked at the vintage miter box I was thinking of restoring....getting excited about that as a future project.

Veneered two legs for a mission style QS W.O. table I am building.

Tuned up my table saw.

Not much else, really.

Chris Hachet
11-10-2014, 9:20 AM
Oh, and I also repaired the oak card file my wife has been after me to fix for two years. Good things come to those who wait.

cody michael
11-10-2014, 9:39 AM
adjusted my new to me grizzly planer to be back in specs, previous owner had installed blades way to high so all the rollers were off. cleaned all the rust off my table saw, jointer, bandsaw, and started on lathe. before that I finished my insulating project so now I need to cleanup and put tools back so I can actually do woodworking...

John Coloccia
11-10-2014, 9:45 AM
I managed not to hide in my shed with a six pack of beer and a pack of smoke while my wife took care of the twins...

I also managed to get a new SawStop out of my truck.... :)

Chris Hachet
11-10-2014, 9:55 AM
adjusted my new to me grizzly planer to be back in specs, previous owner had installed blades way to high so all the rollers were off. cleaned all the rust off my table saw, jointer, bandsaw, and started on lathe. before that I finished my insulating project so now I need to cleanup and put tools back so I can actually do woodworking...

Sometimes weekend spent tuning tools can be just as enjoyable as woodworking...

Chris Hachet
11-10-2014, 9:56 AM
I managed not to hide in my shed with a six pack of beer and a pack of smoke while my wife took care of the twins...

I also managed to get a new SawStop out of my truck.... :)

Congrats on the saw stop!

Shawn Pixley
11-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Smoked a tri-tip roast for dinner. I worked on a design for a second knife that I am doing. Ground, sawed and filed my knofe blank to match (I didn't forge this blank). Then cut scales for my wife.

John Coloccia
11-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Congrats on the saw stop!

I had the contractor, but sold it to a friend when I brought the CNC into the shop. With twins, CNC doesn't work...I can't spend an hour or two babysitting it, changing bits, etc. Just sold the CNC, and it's back to hand work. It worked out because I was able to get the PCS. That came out just a month or two after I bought the contractor, and I was always annoyed that I missed out on being able to get a cabinet saw (the ICS was just unaffordable for what I needed).

Bill Adamsen
11-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Painted the barn doors, peeled off the masking tape on the hinges (hardest job of the weekend), milled and cut the components for a workbench.

So the workbench - this is just a "potting shed" thingy for the spouse. Light built from scrap wood (old 2x4s) about 14' long and 2' deep. I decided I needed to cut the dadoes in the legs using the RA Saw, which I haven't used in about 15 years (but just recently completed refurbishing). The idea was that I wanted to be able to cut fast tenons without buying a dedicated tenoner. The RA Saw could do this nicely (good enough) with a dado blade. So, I needed dadoes on the bench legs, why not use the RA Saw? (down the proverbial rabbit hole) Well, primarily because it isn't hooked up to the dust collection system, but sooner or later I was going to have to hook it up, and I'd already looked at what others had done and had a pretty good idea what I was going to do. So good opportunity to make the dust hood?

Step 1 ... look for scrap plywood.
Step 2 ... based on plywood available, think about dimensions.
Step 3 ... make design too complicated with lots of compound angles requiring math.
Step 4 ... make the darn hood and realize the bent metal deflector will now require elliptical edges on account of the complex compound angles.
Step 5 ... finally get the stupid thing built, and in testing find out that simpler would have been better.
Step 6 ... cut the dadoes
Step 7 ... try to decide if I put the thing on the burn pile now, or wait until I've built its replacement (dust hood not bench)

Here is the issue. For what I'm using it for, the chips either jump to the side (which no amount of suction is going to collect) or they fly straight back with only about a 5° dispersion angle. Meaning, the opening to collect could easily be just 6 inches wide, and certainly not 11 inches as I made it. It also should be higher, maybe 10 or 12 inches since the chip target is more oval or teardrop. Anyway, got the job done and now I know how to improve the design.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-10-2014, 3:34 PM
I collect postage stamps. I decided to write a program in C++ using QT (for you computer geeks out there) and I finally made it at least somewhat usable. Not great, but it works. Now I can improve it.

I have two daughters and a wife. I built a roll out storage container for my 8 year old daughter and she loved it. So, then I built a couple of drawer type storage containers to go under a bed in my wife's office and she loved it. This weekend, I built a roll-out storage container for my 6 year old. It is fully assembled and has two coats of shellac on it. I used shellac because because I used some scrap pine for two sides. I was thinking about adding a final coat of something tonight; say some poly since I used up my shellac (not that I could not mix-up another batch of shellac, I have the flakes and the alcohol).

Oh, and I had my daughters decorate the thing with markers and pens. Not sure how they will feel about their decoration job when they are teenagers, but I figure that it will be something like this:

Now: Look at what I did (act all proud)
teens: (act all embarrassed)
Much later: Look what I did when I was your age...

I had them decorate the top of one of my shop storage cabinets....

Jim Becker
11-10-2014, 4:13 PM
Spent a good chunk of Saturday in the shop working on my latest tack trunk project...neck issue kept me from my normal equestrian activities. Carcass is completed and the cherry trim installed. I need to get a couple coats of waterborne finish on the inside next and then get the lid built for next steps. I also decided I'm going to build a jig for for the band saw to make my own triangular stock for reinforcement purposes...'hard to source the size I want and cutting it on the table saw is a pain in the you-know-what.

Horse show on Sunday, so no more work got done this weekend, other than getting select herbs potted to come in for the winter.

Keith Hankins
11-10-2014, 4:21 PM
Actually got time to work on the wine cabinet going. This one the client wanted ogee feet so, I've got that all done. This weekend, was focusing on the door, and got the rail n stile's done and the raised panel done, sanded, finished and all glued together. Onlything left will be the stained glass window from the wife. Also got the top started (last piece). Got the bubinga veneer cut and glued and in the press. Never noticed how many bleed holes was in this piece until it got under pressure and I could see it. Luckily the pinholes have dark glue coming through. I'll know tonight when I take it out if it's to much for the final product. If it is, I'll flip her over and get another piece and try it again. Hope not, at about 8 bucks a sheet not a good thing. I'll be glad to get this one done and out of the shop. Here's a link to my project

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk645fDP

Mike Null
11-10-2014, 4:29 PM
A number of years back I was awarded my doctorate in procrastination. Having been a wood worker of varying grades from novice to fair several years ago I pretty much left my tools to gather dust and concentrated on my engraving business. Earlier this year I got the itch to get back to woodworking and bought myself a new Laguna bandsaw and a midi lathe. My intent was to build some boxes and do a little turning--nothing fancy but a few pens and other gifty items as well as some jigs for my engraving machines.

Since then I have been studying you tube for all the ways to use the saw and to make gadgets with the lathe--it's not my first lathe so i have an idea. Now i'm ready to stop the procrastination and begin sorting through my dusty wood pile for some good looking stuff to begin with. hopefully by next weekend i will have at least a few pens made and a start on a box or two.

joe maday
11-10-2014, 6:12 PM
I was able to get thick "veneer" (1/8") to front of a chest of drawers and get the top and bottom moldings attached. Now to plan out the veneer for the top, and attach legs. Then on to the drawers!