PDA

View Full Version : Question on plane lube? Candle wax any good?

Alan Tolchinsky
07-14-2005, 9:52 PM
Hi All,
I saw somebody rubbing something on their plane bottom and thought it looked like a candle. So I tried this on mine and it really reduced the friction. I usually use some Johnson's paste wax but the candle wax is faster to apply. I'm not sure it's any better or as good as the paste wax but it works. What do you use for the sole lubrication? Thoughts on candle wax? Thanks. Alan in Md.

Erin Raasch
07-14-2005, 9:59 PM
Alan,

Candle wax works, but you can also buy those blocks of paraffin that you find with the canning supplies at the grocery store or hardware store. There just the right width so that you can take a single swipe down the sole of the plane. I picked up a couple of boxes (5 or 6 blocks to a box) at a rummage sale for 15 cents - they'll probably last my lifetime and then some.

Erin

Mike Wenzloff
07-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi Alan, I use caning wax as sold in the grocery store. It's cheap and I found the size (1" x 1" x 6") a good size. Lasts forever.

Mike

Mark Stutz
07-14-2005, 10:16 PM
If it's pure parafin wax, should be fine, but I don't know ifthere is beeswax or ather additives in commercial candles or not. A lifetime supply can be found at the grocery store for a couple of bucks.

Jules Dominguez
07-14-2005, 10:27 PM
I keep an old scraggly remnant of a candle on my workbench. I've used it for years and I'm not aware of any finishing problems caused by it's use. It was sold to go with a camper's candle light, and it's made of a hard wax. I use it on the soles of planes and occasionally on my tablesaw. It does a good job of reducing friction.

Kent Parker
07-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Alan,

I have remnants of beeswax blocks I used for a finish on my workbench (beeswax and turps). I use the wax for plane soles and I also scrap it across screws to make them easier to install. Makes a big difference if they are large screws. It also smells good :)

Cheers

KP

Alan Tolchinsky
07-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Thank you all very much. I'm off to the grocery store to find some canning wax. I'll let you know if it works any differently than my candle. Thanks again. Alan in Md.

Jim Becker
07-15-2005, 8:34 AM
The one thing that really makes the pure paraffin desirable is that you can easily clean it off your workpiece with mineral spirits...they come from the same place. Simplicity at its best... ;)

Steve Wargo
07-15-2005, 8:44 AM
Most of todays candles are paraffin wax, which is a petroleum distillate (man made). Carnuba (from palm tree leaves) and Beeswax (self explanitory) are more "natural waxes. Carnuba tends to be the most wear resistant. All of them should break down with Mineral spirits, but carnuba and Paraffin may take a little extra work. The best solvent to remove them would be to use Naptha. Jim I suspect that if you are leaving a surface of wax on your workpiece that you are using way too much wax on the sole of your plane. FWIW I use beeswax for everything. Saws, plane soles, bandsaw blades, you name it. I find a chunk every so often at a flea market and pick it up. Hope this helps.

Jerry Palmer
07-15-2005, 8:49 AM
I gotta wonder what you guys use to iluminate your shop when you've used up your candles to lube your planes. :D Guess ya'll have modernized and got some kerosine lamps, huh?

Dan Moening
07-15-2005, 9:09 AM
I have been using Johnson's Paste Wax without any ill effects. As it's already on the bench when I'm finished planing, a quick swipe helps in rust prevention as well.

Jerry...never heard of karoscene...been usin' whale oil ... :D

Erin Raasch
07-15-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't know about carnauba wax, but I know that beeswax has a higher melting point than paraffin - making it "harder" than paraffin. I use beeswax on my wooden plane soles, but I find the paraffin much easier to apply on the metal planes. I also find that while paste wax works well for rust protection, I still like to apply paraffin for that extra "slickness" during use. I haven't had a problem with any wax fouling the finish, but I think that's partly because I usually finish up with a card scraper, and I also wipe down with mineral spirits at some point.

Erin

Michael Perata
07-15-2005, 11:59 AM
I have some old Sex wax left over from my surfing days that works well. It is hard and does not wear down as fast as some of the other waxes.

I guess it would be hard to find unless you live close to a coast. ;)

Mike Wenzloff
07-15-2005, 12:07 PM
I have some old Sex wax left over from my surfing days that works well. It is hard and does not wear down as fast as some of the other waxes.

I guess it would be hard to find unless you live close to a coast. ;)

Unless you just get it from the source...

http://www.sexwax.com/

James Carmichael
07-15-2005, 12:38 PM

Where's a moderator :eek:

I used parafin at first since I used to can fruit and had some. But I found it too hard and switched to paste (Minwax) or carnauba (Turtle), with a preference for the paste. I keep a can of each handy with a paper towel inside for wiping down tools when I'm finished.

I work in an un-airconditioned garage in TX and sweat like the devil, so I have to keep those cast iron tables top coated.

Mike Wenzloff
07-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Just make sure the wax in use does not contain silicone...It will cause a problem sooner or later.

Most car waxes contain silicone, as well as other additives that may make it unsuitable for under finishes.

Keith Christopher
07-15-2005, 7:02 PM
Also the thing about candle wax is many have essential oils in them for a fragrance. Not all candles do, but even he "unscented" ones sometimes have oils in them that could affect the wood and the finish.

Michael Perata
07-15-2005, 7:17 PM

Duh! I have three packages left so it didn't dawn on me to do a Google for it. :o

Mark Singer
07-15-2005, 7:39 PM
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool_imgs/CO_sm.jpg (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=CO) http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool_imgs/COt.gif (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=CO)

A small amount is very good....from Lie Nielsen

Mike Wenzloff
07-15-2005, 9:22 PM
Duh! I have three packages left so it didn't dawn on me to do a Google for it. :o
The stuff does last a very, vary long time. Gosh, I haven't used any since the 70s. Gotta be good, it really took a beating on a board's bottom.

I was just nostagically looking at the website and you know what? They even have some of those (silly) newsletter articles. Sometimes memory lane is a bit overgrown...

Mike Wenzloff
07-15-2005, 9:25 PM
Hi Mark,

I've never used the stuff. Does it provide the slickness of wax for use? or is it "just" for moisture protection? I've read comparisions concerning the moisture aspect and it never really ranked well.

I don't have any moisture issues here, so that aspect alone wouldn't encourage me to purchase any.

Thank you, Mike

James Carmichael
07-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Just make sure the wax in use does not contain silicone...It will cause a problem sooner or later.

Most car waxes contain silicone, as well as other additives that may make it unsuitable for under finishes.

No problems thus far. Turtle wax is supposed to be 100% carnauba. Smells nice, too. I prefer the paste, though, since it's a bit harder and lasts longer on the sole of a plane.