PDA

View Full Version : Going to need my pills

Moses Yoder
11-09-2014, 1:44 PM
I am bipolar, and anticipation of an event makes me go manic. Such a simple sentence reflects years of not knowing what is going on, and now knowing. A while back, maybe 2 months now, I went manic and did irreparable damage to my relationship with my wife. I went to my psych and asked if there wasn't something that could be done and she prescribed a pill for when I become manic. I have tried them and they work great. They are expensive, about a dollar a pill and 3 pills a day. They are also addictive, so you can't just pop them like candy.

My daughter Mary was diagnosed with ITP and on Tuesday will go into surgery and have her spleen removed. An event like that is enough to send me into mania.

Here is where it gets really bad, the hand tool content. On top of Mary's surgery, I saw something on Craigslist and have made a deal with the guy, but will not have the actual cash to pick it up until next Friday. He is supposed to hold it for me. I am not sure how I am going to make it through this week, but I am definitely going to need my pills. I have to try and keep my mouth shut for a whole week.

Your thoughts for my daughter's surgery are appreciated.

Sam Beagle
11-09-2014, 1:52 PM
I am not quite sure what you are saying, are you saying hand tools are a replacement behavior for you. I too have been diagnosed with issues, it's a tough road. Try and stay focused and look for something to be greatful for each day.

Shawn Pixley
11-09-2014, 2:01 PM
Moses, you have my untempered sympathy for your daughter's challenges. I know next to nothing about ITP, so I can't offer any advise there. I am also unqualified to offer advise on BPD.

My advise though is that a Craigslist deal is far less important than your daughter, your wife or yourself. If the Craigslist deal puts more pressure on you, back out of it gracefully and focus on the important things.

Whatever you do, you have my support.

Moses Yoder
11-09-2014, 2:32 PM
Some people are gamblers, some smokers, some drinkers. I am addicted to finding hand tool bargains. There, I said it. My play money is budgeted, no fear of harming the family. It is just a hobby though, it does not interfere with my responsibilities. In this case I am getting some tools for $20 that I can sell for $150. To me there is nothing quite like the rush of spotting that deal when hundreds of people have walked past it.

Thanks for the advice on making sure I keep my priorities straight Shawn, I will keep that in mind.

Jim Koepke
11-09-2014, 2:32 PM
Good luck and God bless.

jtk

Kees Heiden
11-09-2014, 3:51 PM
It's hard to understand what you're going through, but best wishes nonetheless. And to your daughter too! Those are tough times.

Mel Miller
11-09-2014, 5:01 PM
If the lack of $20. to complete a tool deal is going to cause you to stress out for the week and have to take extra medication, there is something wrong with that picture.

Harold Burrell
11-09-2014, 5:37 PM
If the lack of $20. to complete a tool deal is going to cause you to stress out for the week and have to take extra medication, there is something wrong with that picture.

Yeah...umm...I think that was part of what he was trying to say...

Moses Yoder
11-09-2014, 6:04 PM
I think I am fortunate to be diagnosed and have a reasonable handle on what is going on. I look around and see many people who have something wrong with them and don't know it. I have plenty of money right now, and more coming in. I just don't have the $20 in tool money. Lots of guys buy tools and hide them from their wife so she doesn't know. I bring every tool and lantern and gizmo I buy into the house and set it on my end table to admire for a couple evenings before it goes out in the shop; my wife sees every purchase I make. This is the advantage to having a small allowance set aside for buying tools. I spend about $15 a week on tools; take a look at the "2014 Shop Tour" posted in the Workshops forum to see what that has added up to. I spent about $1800 to purchase large tools for my shop when I set it up, every hand tool I own was purchased on the $15 a week budget. I see the limitation as a good thing. Most of my tools are worth about 10 times what I paid for them.

Phil Thien
11-09-2014, 7:15 PM
I look around and see many people who have something wrong with them and don't know it.

You promised me you wouldn't tell anyone.

Dan Hintz
11-09-2014, 8:15 PM
You promised me you wouldn't tell anyone.

We already knew, Phil ;)

David Weaver
11-09-2014, 9:16 PM
Moses, there's probably something wrong with all of us one way or another. It's just what and to what degree.

I think it's admirable that you're keeping your word on your tool budget. I wish I had as much restraint! Good luck to your daughter.

Charles McKinley
11-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Moses my family will keep yours in our thought and prayers.