PDA

View Full Version : 3X K-grade wheels

Steve Voigt
11-09-2014, 1:09 PM
I hate to risk starting another sharpening war, but I have a rather specific inquiry and haven't found a satisfactory answer.
I was considering taking advantage of LV free shipping to get a 46-grit K-grade 3X wheel for my 6" dry grinder. The only wheels I normally use are the stock grey wheels, in the 36-60 grit range. I have no objections to these, but both my wheels are getting small (had them for years), and I wouldn't mind juicing the performance a little.
So, will the 3X K-wheels offer a significant increase in grinding speed, and/or will they run noticeably cooler?
I notice that Joel at TFFW seems to prefer the I-grade wheels, particularly for high carbon & vintage steel, which is all I use. However, LV doesn't stock those. Is it better to go for the I-grade? How big is the difference between I and K? They would only be a few dollars more after shipping.
I value all contributions, but in an attempt to preempt the inevitable derailments, I'll just mention that I don't want a Tormek, or a Worksharp, or a belt sander, or a CBN wheel, or a … , or a … :cool:
Thanks people!

- Steve

Darren Brewster
11-10-2014, 10:45 AM
It's what I use, but I haven't tried the I-wheels so I have no comparison. I like the K-wheel that I have though.

Kees Heiden
11-10-2014, 10:53 AM
I like my 3x 46 grit wheel a lot, but I have no idea if it is K or I. So this isn't very helpfull I'm afraid.

dan sherman
11-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Is it better to go for the I-grade? How big is the difference between I and K? They would only be a few dollars more after shipping.

In my opinion you won't be able to see a difference in performance. The only place you might see a difference would be with potential grooving. Basically I is more susceptible to grooving because it's softer. However, you would need to be grinding on stuff like 1/8" chisels all the time to see the difference most likely.