PDA

View Full Version : Chisels

ken hatch
11-09-2014, 5:57 AM
Recently a co-worker asked if I could help him build a work bench, sure no problem.....Not so fast Bubba, it was soon apparent he really hadn't worked much with hand tools and would need basic instruction on how to saw, how to use a chisel and so on.

Ok on to the reason for the post, but first a minor kvetch, how can someone destroy a chisel. I gave him my 750's to use, the most bulletproof chisels I own and within minutes of turning my back to do other things he had an edge that looked like a hag's mouth. I can chop and pare for hours with no more maintenance than a couple of quick touches on the polishing stone. On the worst one I had to grind over a mm to a clean edge.

Kvetch over, it is interesting how things we do, things we do not think about while doing are not in everyones data base. Something as simple as using a chisel, used correctly the edge will last a long time, used with a twisting or prying motion the edge will fracture at the first contact with wood. Or watching someone who does not use hand saws try to start a cut in the middle of the saw plate, with knuckles bone white and drawing back. Bottom line I expect once my co-worker has finished building his bench he will have a better understanding of hand tools but I also expect I will as well because I'm having to re-think and explain how to chisel, how to saw, how to work wood.

In the end my co-worker will gain a bench and some knowledge of 'how", but I expect I will benefit the most.

Harold Burrell
11-09-2014, 6:39 AM
Yeah...dude...wow...

My first thought when reading your post was, Hey...wow...Ken is a good friend. That co-worker is pretty lucky."
My second thought was, "Hey...wow...Ken is a pretty good writer."
My third was, "Hey...wow...Ken is a good man."

Thanks for posting that...

Paul Sidener
11-09-2014, 6:53 AM
I know what you are giving your coworker for Christmas.

Joe Tilson
11-09-2014, 7:29 AM
Caught myself doing the same thing your co-worker did the other day. Stopped right then resharpened my chisel, then resumed my work in the correct manor. I have also loaned chisels out to people who like to use metal hammers on them. It's a good thing they were a less expensive Chinese brand. They are good chisels, but not my very best. Ken you are a good man, and very brave too.

Warren Mickley
11-09-2014, 8:04 AM
How we handle our tools makes a big difference in edge longevity. With some regularity some amateur offers to test chisels so everyone else can be spared the work. It is really generous, guys with money and time on their hands testing tools for the good of the community. However their results are limited by their skill and experience. If a chisel only works well in the hands of the skilled worker, or only with the appropriate sharpening routine, it could easily be overlooked.

Here is one example. Some guys like to hold the chisel like a pencil. That is fine, but they have to realize that the handle is flopping a bit with every hit of the mallet, which is, like prying, very rough on the edge. The edge itself is extremely delicate and vulnerable to any sideways motion. When you really care about an edge every little motion is important.

John Vernier
11-09-2014, 8:47 AM
You're right, of course, that the best way to really learn a subject is to teach it. It's true of academic subjects and it's certainly true in the shop, and no book can really teach you how to manipulate a chisel, to feel your way around it.

Hopefully by the time your friend is well along with his bench he will see the need to buy a few tools to go along with it.

george wilson
11-09-2014, 8:53 AM
Don't loan your tools to someone who knows nothing about using them.

I had this idiot teacher when I was in high school. He expressed an interest in buying a guitar I had made. So,I brought my guitar and small amp to school and let him try it out over the weekend. On monday,he said he had decided not to buy it,and it was in his car. I went out there to find the guitar,still plugged into the amp,cord all over the place. The guitar,which I had no case for(for lack of money),was laying on top of a folded up metal baby stroller. On the back of the neck were deep gouges of his thumb nail. How that guy managed to do that,I have no idea.

That's what you get for loaning your stuff to idiots (in this case),or inexperienced guys.

Curt Putnam
11-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Don't loan your tools to someone who knows nothing about using them.

I had this idiot teacher when I was in high school. He expressed an interest in buying a guitar I had made. So,I brought my guitar and small amp to school and let him try it out over the weekend. On monday,he said he had decided not to buy it,and it was in his car. I went out there to find the guitar,still plugged into the amp,cord all over the place. The guitar,which I had no case for(for lack of money),was laying on top of a folded up metal baby stroller. On the back of the neck were deep gouges of his thumb nail. How that guy managed to do that,I have no idea.

That's what you get for loaning your stuff to idiots (in this case),or inexperienced guys.

Just teeing off.... George, your post brings up the question of loaning tools and how many folks maintain a beater set of tools for loaning to the inexperienced (if loaning happens at all.)

ken hatch
11-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks Harold,

If you live life correctly it isn't a zero sum game.

I came of age in the South during the late 50's-early 60's and learned the lessons well, so much so I still look at the world through the eyes of an aging freak and have no regrets or even better look in the mirror each morning and like who I see.

ken

Jim Koepke
11-09-2014, 1:21 PM
Just teeing off.... George, your post brings up the question of loaning tools and how many folks maintain a beater set of tools for loaning to the inexperienced (if loaning happens at all.)

I have one friend who tends to get 'creative' with tools. Most of the time I tell him I will do the work for him before loaning him a tool. My belief is he could even wreck a hammer. The guy is good at many things, it is just that he doesn't want to practice tool use disciplines. I gave him and his wife a few of my spare woodworking chisels. He later told me how great they were for removing tile from the walls when they remodeled there bathrooms.

Some tools I do have beaters. Mostly now they end up being for me to use on dirty wood or other suspect situations.

Sometimes the best way to make sure a tool is returned undamaged is to demand a security deposit equal to twice the cost of a replacement. No one wants to go that route.

jtk

DOUG ANGEL
11-09-2014, 2:15 PM
I have a aviation electrical tool box that I NEVER loan tools from, some were hard to find, some custom made, most were expensive. My general tool box for auto and home use has a lot of beater tools that I MAY loan out. I also have a tool chest for my woodworking tools, nobody even gets to look in it!

Brian Holcombe
11-09-2014, 2:25 PM
I worked for a machinist in my high-school and early college years, being able to finally borrow a tool for unsupervised use was a badge of honor very hard-earned. IIRC it took about 5-6 years and the offer of lending of many of my own tools before it was even up for consideration.

bridger berdel
11-09-2014, 4:10 PM
I worked for a machinist in my high-school and early college years, being able to finally borrow a tool for unsupervised use was a badge of honor very hard-earned. IIRC it took about 5-6 years and the offer of lending of many of my own tools before it was even up for consideration.

there are a few tools I will loan, and a few people I will loan them to. if a request for loan comes from outside that grouping, I'm more likely to chase down a used tool and give it to the asker than to loan my working set. I'm an incorrigible yard sailor, so I tend to have a ready supply of excess tools. I'd rather give them than loan them for the most part. I don't want to have to refurbish the same tools over and over....

Jim Matthews
11-09-2014, 5:00 PM

I keep a couple sets of Marples Blue handle chisels for newbies.
As chisels go, they're nearly indestructible.

Once they're out of my shop, they're no longer my concern.

I show them how to sharpen the 3/4" and leave them to it.

My chisels are for my use, only.