PDA

View Full Version : Considering an Epilog purchase - need opinions on the models

Mladen Hristov
11-09-2014, 5:50 AM
Hi,
is there a difference between 2007 made helix and 2014 one?

Shall I go for a new 60w mini 24, or get the used helix (6 months warranty and 1 month for the tube) and upgrade to 60w later with the price difference?

Greetings,
Menka

Bill Stearns
11-09-2014, 11:05 AM
MENKA -
Kind’ a tough to offer advice without knowing how you plan to use your laser: hobby, or core business:? With this in mind, my suggestion: Choose the newest ‘n best equipment you feel you can afford. IMO: Monetarily cutting corners at the start can lead to problems down the road. (down-time; costly disruptions in your business, etc.) Brand-wise: I can’t say enough good things ‘bout Epilog: the equipment, the company’s support. Another suggestion: choose enough power/wattage, not just to handle your immediate plans - but, jobs that may come ‘long. (i.e. I learned late in the game that my 35-W Epilog is at the low end of being able to "metal mark" stainless with Cermark. Meaning: I would’ve lost out on all the business I’ve done engraving/marking hundreds of knives ‘n hatchets for a statewide organization ‘n others. And, now, nine years into it, I’m clearly realizing how higher power would’ve enabled me, all this time, to do jobs faster. Good luck with your decision.

Bill

Robert Tepper
11-09-2014, 1:59 PM
I agree with Bill.

What are you going to be doing with the machine? Don't sell your self short over a few thousand dollars when one job can pay for the difference. I always tell people to purchase the largest and most powerful they can afford. I have had my machine for 2 1/2 years and can not imagine having a smaller or less powerful laser than my 80 watts.

Best of luck in your choice,
Robert