PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Storage, French Cleat System?

Judi Watson
11-08-2014, 8:05 PM
Putting together benches and lumber storage was straight forward. Anyone have ideas on wall storage, any shots of hardware storage?
299952 299953
Thanks

Yonak Hawkins
11-08-2014, 10:28 PM
There's a lot to like about your shop. I like the sheet goods storage. Does it swing out from the wall with, like, a hinge ?

You can never have too much storage. It looks like you may have good available high storage, especially close to the walls. While it's not the easiest place to stack and retreive lumber from, there's no reason why why you can't store lumber up high. It looks like you have plenty of wall space, too, for shelves or cabinets.

Hardware storage is so dependent on the size of the hardware. There are all kinds of inexpensive, different sized and styles of containers available that can store on shelves in drawers and under benches.

Mike Heidrick
11-09-2014, 7:40 AM
I plan to do the woodsmith/shopnotes slatwall in my new shop on a mega scale.

http://media.woodsmith.com/tvshow/805/E805_webpromo.jpg

Matt Day
11-09-2014, 9:21 AM
Judi, can you share the plan that you used for the plywood storage? Looks like what I've been needing for plywood and pkywood cut offs.
TIA

Jim Andrew
11-09-2014, 9:48 AM
I converted my lumber storage to vertical, kind of like books. Look at the edge, lean it out and look at it, put it back and look at another. Don't have to move a whole stack to look at the flat sides of a board.

glenn bradley
11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I went to the cleat system years ago and have never been sorry. Although the cleat system is just what you hang everything else from. It allows easy adjustments or complete changes of setup with ease.

Judi Watson
11-09-2014, 5:22 PM
Judi, can you share the plan that you used for the plywood storage? Looks like what I've been needing for plywood and pkywood cut offs.
TIA
Hi Matt,
i found the idea on www.woodwhisperer.com under projects/workshop, i modified slightly because I wanted to use the 2 sheets of 3/4" ply I had on hand. I discovered after filling it up that maybe just a bit larger rollers would have been great. It rolls fine now but would have been even easier...

Judi Watson
11-09-2014, 5:31 PM
Oops wrong angle, but basically I did put lumber above, the wall height is 92" so I had plenty of space. Yes it swings out with 8" gate hinges.

i ended up putting my hardware cases on shelving on the front bench, that works for me.

There's a lot to like about your shop. I like the sheet goods storage. Does it swing out from the wall with, like, a hinge ?

You can never have too much storage. It looks like you may have good available high storage, especially close to the walls. While it's not the easiest place to stack and retreive lumber from, there's no reason why why you can't store lumber up high. It looks like you have plenty of wall space, too, for shelves or cabinets.

Hardware storage is so dependent on the size of the hardware. There are all kinds of inexpensive, different sized and styles of containers available that can store on shelves in drawers and under benches.

Judi Watson
11-09-2014, 5:32 PM
I plan to do the woodsmith/shopnotes slatwall in my new shop on a mega scale.

http://media.woodsmith.com/tvshow/805/E805_webpromo.jpg

hi Mike, that looks interesting, thanks!

Judi Watson
11-09-2014, 5:37 PM
I went to the cleat system years ago and have never been sorry. Although the cleat system is just what you hang everything else from. It allows easy adjustments or complete changes of setup with ease.

hi Glenn, Wow! That's quite a space! Your cabinets are stunning. This makes me go back to the drawing board, the french cleat idea looks great. Thank you for nurturing the thought process.

Judi Watson
11-09-2014, 5:42 PM
I converted my lumber storage to vertical, kind of like books. Look at the edge, lean it out and look at it, put it back and look at another. Don't have to move a whole stack to look at the flat sides of a board.
Thanks Jim, as I add stock the vertical solution will work for me as well. I appreciate your input!

Judi Watson
11-09-2014, 6:15 PM
I think you'll have to stand on your head to view that last pic....