PDA

View Full Version : saw blade for radial arm saw

cody michael
11-08-2014, 5:52 PM
will this work, I know its not ideal and it is 15 degree rake which isn't ideal. but I can get it for about 6$ with 11$ in sears points back. would it work ok for awhile until I can afford a better one, has decent reviews. made in germany

http://www.sears.com/12-in-x-60t-general-purpose-circular-saw/p-00917565000P?redirectType=SRDT

John Vernier
11-08-2014, 6:21 PM
I can't speak to the quality of that blade, but I have used a RAS with a positive-raked blade and found it pretty grabby and hard to control. Using a negative-raked blade is much safer, and I wouldn't recommend ignoring that just because this blade is a bargain.

John Schweikert
11-08-2014, 6:33 PM
Completely agree with John. Don't allow a bargain lead you away from what is a safe blade choice for a RAS, negative hook tooth set makes a huge difference in the overall experience and safety of the tool.

I bought this version for my dad a few years back as a gift. He has had an RAS since he bought it in the 60s while in the USAF. He's never used a negative hook blade and was quite surprised at how much better it sounded, it cut and resisted the typical sprint a standard blades makes coming toward the operator.
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/carbide-processors/worlds-best-saw-blades/radial-arm-saw-blades/

I already learned my lesson this year with a table saw injury that will affect my right hand usage for the rest of my life. I don't discount safety options anymore.

cody michael
11-08-2014, 8:16 PM
Thanks, I will skip on that blade then, I appreciate your input

CPeter James
11-08-2014, 9:53 PM
Absolutely NOT!!!!! You need a blade with zero of negative rake on the teeth. This blade will get you in trouble fast!! Been there. This blade will be so grabby that you will have trouble controlling it. Get the right blade and a RAS can be a good useful tool. With the wrong blade it is dangerous.

http://justsawblades.com/popular/radial_arm_blades.html

CPeter

john Intosa
11-09-2014, 12:06 AM
I would stay away from a positive hook angle blade for a RAS. The thicker the wood you would try to cut, the more strongly it will pull toward you and compromise your control of the cut. The 15 degree positive hook is normal for table saw and ok for a chop saw, but a bad choice for RAS. Overall, With 60 teeth, this is probably best for a chop saw. Choosing a blade with the right geometry goes a long way to give you a clean and safer cut.

Jerome Stanek
11-09-2014, 8:09 AM
Why do the saws come with a positive rake blade

Lee Schierer
11-09-2014, 8:23 AM
Why do the saws come with a positive rake blade
Probably because negative hook angle blades are more expensive than positive hook angle blades.

John Vernier
11-09-2014, 8:39 AM
I think negative hook blades were more common when radial arm saws were really popular and everyone had one in their garage. Since they are now well out of favor, replaced by the sliding chop saw, the negative hook blade, which is mainly of use on the RAS, is more of a niche product. Positive hook blades are the norm (and safe) on modern chop saws and table saws, so they are everywhere. It's the fact that the RAS cuts as you pull it back, so that you are pulling the saw in the direction that the blade is spinning, which makes it an aggressive and grabby tool, and the negative hook blade mitigates this somewhat. On most other circular saws, the cut is into the spin of the blade, which is easier to control.

cody michael
11-09-2014, 8:48 AM
thanks, it came with a pos rake I am pretty sure, it is quite grabby (i was cutting 3/4 plywood) I will save my money and get a neg tooth blade.

Larry Edgerton
11-09-2014, 4:42 PM
What size is it? I switched from a 16" Delta to a 14" Omga and have a new 16" FS Tool or equal RAS blade around here somewhere.

Larry

Peter Quinn
11-09-2014, 8:43 PM
Rake angle has nothing to do with cost. A radial arm saw cross cut is a climb cut. Do that with a positive rake angle, the carriage will want to come flying at you. Even just a slightly positive or 0 rake is scary, forget 15 degrees positive, that is bordering on mental. That blade is for a non sliding miter saw or table saw. SCMS's don't like positive rake angels either. With the TS the positive rake actually holds the wood better to the table, but you are not climb cutting. Don't cheap out, blades are cheap compared to hands.

cody michael
11-10-2014, 6:59 AM
What size is it? I switched from a 16" Delta to a 14" Omga and have a new 16" FS Tool or equal RAS blade around here somewhere.

Larry

It's a 12 inch saw. Thanks though.