PDA

View Full Version : drill press and morticing

John Christian
11-08-2014, 3:55 PM
299945299941299939299938299937I have started a shoe rack project and was doing my lay out and machine setups. i thought it was going well , i needed a mortice 1/2x 1-1/3 x 3 inches set at 11 degrees. i set up and made one to test if the sizes and the angle would work. when i came back to it for production purposes i decided to make a proper fence for my drill press table the would support the width of the wood. having made and installed that i tried a few more test peices and the accuracy repeat-ability wasnt there (I need about six holes in a row to make up my three inches). i have scratched my head and made sure that all was tight on the drill press adjustments and the fence. i reset the fence a half a dozen times and still the hole wander side to side( see attached pics) looking for suggestions advice please

Rich Engelhardt
11-08-2014, 5:09 PM
Put another clamp on the front right and I bet the holes line up better.

Frank Martin
11-08-2014, 5:26 PM
I know you did not ask this but I think you will have a lot better results using a plunge router for that mortice. Good luck.

John Vernier
11-08-2014, 6:30 PM
There's a lot of force wanting to slide your piece when drilling at an angle. I suspect those quick-grip clamps don't give you enough holding power to keep everything in place - I've pretty much given up on them for a lot of work-holding chores, especially where any sort of precision is called for. I might even prefer not to use any type of clamp for an operation like this, but would bolt the fixture to the drill press table instead. That sounds like a bother, but you are clearly bothered already.

lowell holmes
11-09-2014, 12:11 PM
I bought a drill press vise for about $20 at Lowes. It grabs material and allows drill mortise holes easily. You'll save the price of the vise in the wood you don't ruin.

Jim Rimmer
11-10-2014, 1:57 PM
Here's a link to a video on how I made mortises for two end tables. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeiIh5vIcok
There's another video with more info on the jig I made for the router base. Part 4, I think.