PDA

View Full Version : Primitive Distressed sign project for girlfriend and need advice

Matt Perrine
11-08-2014, 1:48 PM
Hi, Everyone

So, I am fairly novice woodworker and my girlfriend wants me to make her some those primitive distressed signs with the saying or quotes on them.

My question is what is the best/easiest way for me to create a stencil for the words so I can paint them on.

Do I just have to lay it out letter for letter by hand if I don't have a plotter/cutter to make a stencil?

Here's an example of a simple sign she likes.

I am sure this has been answered many times but I searched for a while and didn't find it or might be that I just didn't understand what I was reading, so please feel free to just point me in the right direction of the forum if you want instead of typing a lengthy reply.

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can provide.

Matt

Alan Schwabacher
11-08-2014, 2:08 PM
One approach is to design it with whatever computer program you have, print it full sized (on multiple sheets if needed, and tape them together) then cut out the letters with a sharp knife to make a stencil. Put the stencil on the work and spray the letters onto your sign. Use light coats so the paint doesn't run or wick under the edge of the stencil.

Kevin McCluney
11-08-2014, 3:24 PM
If you know anyone that's into scrapbooking ask if they have a Cricut or similar device - it's essentially a printer that has a knife blade in place of a print head, and is used for cutting out designs an lettering. It can be used to create the stencils for your lettering. I've wondered if one of the things could be used to cut veneer in place of paper.

Matt Perrine
11-08-2014, 3:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think for the first one I do I'm just going to try to just design the lettering on my laptop and print it out. Then use some carbon paper and trace the outline of lettering and hopefully it will transfer enough to where I can just hand paint it with a little brush.

Do you guys think that will work?

That seems like it might be the easiest for me, with what I have to work with right now, if it works.

Then if she likes it and wants more I'll have to come up with a more efficient approach.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Mark Bolton
11-08-2014, 4:20 PM
The way we do painted sign work is to print whatever you want on mylar transparency sheet 8 1/2 x 11 then tack your sign to the wall and shoot your lettering on with an overhead projector. You can pick them up used on ebay for 30 bucks. It allows you to scale/position the lettering endlessly. The outline with a sharpie and paint.