PDA

View Full Version : table saw won't start after "event"

Larry Browning
11-08-2014, 1:25 PM
I was cutting an angled rip on some trim I was making and the end of the board fell into the blade insert plate hole causing it to bind with a big bang and stopping the blade. It scared the begeezies out of me but did not hurt me. After clearing things up the saw won't start. I all the breakers are good and I checked that there is power to the magnetic switch with my multimeter. It acts like the switch isn't working at all. I couldn't find any kind of reset button other than the off button inside the switch. I couldn't find a reset button on the motor either. Any suggestions?
BTW, it is a Grizzly G1023SL from around 2002.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2014, 1:47 PM
Larry,

In the troubleshooting section for this symptom it recommends resetting the "thermal overload" relay. On page 53 of the manual it shows the thermal overload relay located in the magnetic switch.

Looking a little closer at the photo, there is a "Reset" button Larry.

Larry Browning
11-08-2014, 2:13 PM
Larry,

In the troubleshooting section for this symptom it recommends resetting the "thermal overload" relay. On page 53 of the manual it shows the thermal overload relay located in the magnetic switch.

Looking a little closer to the photo, there is a "Reset" button Larry.

Thanks for the input Ken. However, my manual only has 46 pages it has a copyright date of November 2001 and revised in January 2002. The switch diagram is on page 36 of mine. It does show a reset switch, but it also serves as the off switch. I have pressed that multiple times. I wonder if I held it in for several seconds??? I will go try that. Well no joy with that.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2014, 2:19 PM
Larry,

Sorry! I was looking at the online version.

Have you disconnected it from power and tried resetting it then?

Larry Browning
11-08-2014, 2:36 PM
Larry,

Sorry! I was looking at the online version.

Have you disconnected it from power and tried resetting it then?
Yes I tried that first.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2014, 2:50 PM
Do you have a multi- meter and are you familiar with it's operation?

Larry Browning
11-08-2014, 3:08 PM
Yes, I do. I have already verified that I have power to the switch with a multimeter.

Larry Browning
11-08-2014, 3:13 PM
here is the mag switch diagram from the manual.

Kevin McCluney
11-08-2014, 3:17 PM
Did you verify that there's power coming from the switch?

Larry Browning
11-08-2014, 3:22 PM
I haven't done that. I will try.

Larry Browning
11-08-2014, 3:47 PM
Ok, I found the problem! Being electrically challenged has always been one of my many deficiencies. I had failed to check the second hot leg of the 220 circuit going into the switch (which was dead) from the paddle switch box I had installed for blade changes. The switch box has 2 fuses, one for each leg of the circuit. One of those fuses had blown. The very first thing I did was check those fuses and they appeared to me to be ok, but I guess not. As soon as I replaced the fuse on the dead leg the saw came alive when I pressed the green button.
I feel like a idiot bothering everyone with my stupidity, especially Ken. Sorry guys, but thanks for the help anyway.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2014, 5:01 PM
Larry,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. My youngest son, career Navy, stationed in CA, drove in and I got busy.

Glad you found the problem!