PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a loaded brad point bit...

Bill Huber
11-08-2014, 12:49 PM
I have been drilling a bunch of 1/2" holes in some MDF and my bit loads up with the stuff. Then there is that little disk that gets cut that hangs on the end of the bit. In the past I would just flick it off with my finger but the bit I am using is really sharp and I didn't want to try that. So I was drilling a hole, turning off the drill press clean the bit and drill the next one, real pain and it takes so long.

Looked around in the shop and found I had a grout brush and that really worked great, cleans the bit right out, knocks the disk off plus I had a brush to clean off the work part. Now I have a little hook on the side of the drill press to hand it.

My brush is an 8", high dollar one, I think it cost around $2.

Kevin McCluney
11-08-2014, 3:39 PM
This is another good addition to the "must have gadgets" thread. It'd also serve to clean the dust off router bits, too. There are numerous non-woodworking tools that can be handy in the shop. For example, I have a dual-ended dental pick (I found it many years ago in the road of all places), and I've found numerous uses for it over the years.

Brian Tymchak
11-09-2014, 9:48 AM
I have repurposed a rasp/file cleaner in the past to clean out those bits when I'm in "production" mode at the DP, but I like your idea of a nylon brush to do it. think I'll splurge and pick one up. Thanks for the idea Bill!

Mark Bolton
11-09-2014, 10:31 AM
If you wax your bit regularly it helps with the flutes clearing. I do a lot of 1/2" dowel construction and when I have to bore with a jig and twist drill I just keep the wax near by. Occassionaly stop and wipe some wax in the flutes and your bit will load up much less.

Tom Ewell
11-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Old toothbrushes always end up out in the shop and in various toolboxes, all manner of uses for them from cleaning out tight spots to spreading glue for edge banding.
Probably would work for your drill bit thing too.

Robin Powlus
11-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Good idea. I may re-purpose my old toothbrush.

Kent A Bathurst
11-09-2014, 6:11 PM
Wait a minute - I just noticed you have been elevated to the rarified atmosphere of The Mod Squad.

When did that happen? Why did it not happen sooner? Is there a secret handshake or sumpin?

Great group of guys....Ken F can be a bit of a pain, though. :p :p :p

John Donhowe
11-09-2014, 7:28 PM
BTW, old Sonicare toothbrush heads are also a great source for terrific rare earth magnets.