PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have one tool for turning spindles

Maurice Arney
11-08-2014, 9:15 AM
I bought my first lathe about a month ago along with a cheap set of tools to get a "feel" for turning. I'm at the point where I would like to start investing in some quality instruments on a one-at-a-time basis. My primary interest is spindle turning and I think my "cheapo" roughing gouge will suffice for now to make square pieces into round ones. The set I purchased includes the following:

3/16-Inch Parting Tool (flat)
5/8-Inch Spear Scraper
1-Inch Skew Chisel
5/8-Inch Skew Chisel
5/8-Inch Round nose scraper
1/2-Inch Bowl Gouge
3/4-Inch Spindle Gouge
7/8-Inch Roughing Gouge

Initially, I would like to try and NOT duplicate what I have unless it is for a different size of the same tool, or if a particular tool is so important I should upgrade right away. So with that in mind, if you could only afford to buy one turning tool, what would it be? Not necessarily looking for brand name suggestions but rather tool size and function (i.e. 3/16th diamond parting tool, 1/2 inch spindle gouge etc.)

Thanks!

John Keeton
11-08-2014, 10:02 AM
3/8" spindle detail gouge - mine is a Thompson. I also like my 3/8" D-Way spindle gouge, which works nearly as well. A "detail gouge" has a more shallow flute and, therefore, a bit more metal under the nose.

Dave Cullen
11-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Ditto on the 3/8 detail gouge. Mine is from Cindy Drozda. And maybe a 1/8" diamond point parting tool, I don't like the flat ones.

Thom Sturgill
11-08-2014, 12:30 PM
+1 on the detail gouge, with a second 3/8 spindle gouge as an option, keeping one gouge in a 'conventional' grind and the other in a sharper fingernail grind, or grinding one to 35-40* and the other to 30-35*(used as detail gouge). Remember that you can save quite a bit by making your own handles - either wood or metal, and removable handles can save even more at the inconvenience of changing blades.

My experience with cleaper sets has been that only the end 1" or so was hardened enough to sharpen. Once ground past that the tools became useless. Better name brand tools should last as long as the flute is still there.

Reed Gray
11-08-2014, 12:40 PM
At first I thought you were asking which tool would I use if I could have only one for turning spindles. If that was the case, it would be a skew because you can make so many different cuts with it. It looks like you are asking what to add to your collection that would come in really handy. I agree with a detail/spindle gouge. I find them a bit more user friendly for cutting beads and coves on spindle work.

robo hippy

Dan Masshardt
11-08-2014, 2:33 PM
The tool I use the most for spindles - from pens to peppermills is a 1/2" spindle gouge that started with a conventional grind and now has a bit of sweep. For some spindles it's about the only tool I use.

A couple others that I use often for your consideration. A 3/4" or 1" oval skew. There are some limitations over a regular skew like the peeling cut but I found it very easy to learn and still more comfortable to use than my reg skews.

Last, the sorby spindlemaster is a tool that always stays in the rotation for me, even as I improve with the other tools. I just like the tool.

roger oldre
11-08-2014, 7:13 PM
I think I would have to consider the lathe the primary tool...just sayin'

Len Mullin
11-08-2014, 10:38 PM
I think I would have to consider the lathe the primary tool...just sayin'Roger, if you read the whole message that was posted, you will see that Maurice already has posted that he bought a lathe and is now asking about cutting tools.Len

Maurice Arney
11-09-2014, 8:00 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I realize that a lot of what makes a tool is personal preference. But being new to turning, the opinions of folks who have been doing it for a while gives me a good idea of what might be something I would find useful.

John Thorson
11-09-2014, 8:47 AM
A detail gouge is very handy for spindle work and not on your list. A 3/4 spindle gouge? Is this a typo? For some folks skilled with the skew chisel they would recommend adding to this part of your collection. To me a 1/2 spindle gouge would be the one tool I would choose if I could only have one for spindle work, ground at 40 degrees with bit of sweep to the wings.

Thom Sturgill
11-09-2014, 8:58 AM
A detail gouge is very handy for spindle work and not on your list. A 3/4 spindle gouge? Is this a typo? For some folks skilled with the skew chisel they would recommend adding to this part of your collection. To me a 1/2 spindle gouge would be the one tool I would choose if I could only have one for spindle work, ground at 40 degrees with bit of sweep to the wings.

Look up European or German spindle gouges - they are forged tools as are most SRGs and are excellent for long sweeping curves.

roger oldre
11-09-2014, 9:11 AM
If we need to be so technical and a little levity is out of the question I guess you would be correct but the headline reads "If you could only have one tool for turning spindles" He may have a bowl lathe or he may have a lathe that is not adequate by some peoples standards. For all the experience many of you think you have you have a long way to go before your ability catches up with your ego. I have felt a little bullied on this site because my thoughts and answers dont fall into compliance with others. I have expirience to back it up with over fourty five years of turning stuff from the very small to the very large. I have also built woodworking equipment small jigs to large groups of equipment for furniture parts manufacture. I do usually try to stay away from just flat out arguments there are some that I just cant shy away from because they are just so wrong. what is with you stuffed shirts? I havenot read any where that fun is off limits.

Maurice Arney
11-09-2014, 12:17 PM
I havenot read any where that fun is off limits.

It's in the forum rules... You must have missed it. ;)<----- me trying to be funny