PDA

View Full Version : Box Joint Sled for TS

Roy Wall
07-14-2005, 9:09 PM
Hey guys...

Was "dinkin" (not drinkin) around today and made this jig. The sled is a little guy, and I will put a plexiglass blade guard over it tomorrow. THe test joint is poplar.

It took a bit to get the joint tight. You basically put the "key" exactly on "blade kerf" from the dado blade....then cut a series of joints and test the corner. Mine was loose at first, so I tapped the plywood backer (that houses the key) with a hammer to adjust the fit. Tried again...it took 3-4 cuts...

Anyway - these joints are 3/8" wide. I'll try to make a nice little box or tray in the next few days. One thing for sure....I won't unclamp the registration board!! It's a little touchy to get just right.

Roy Wall
07-14-2005, 9:12 PM
here are a few more pics......

Mark Singer
07-14-2005, 9:13 PM
Roy , I made a similar jig for my miter gauge...It works great!

Michael Stafford
07-14-2005, 9:21 PM
Very nice, Roy! I love the safety feature on the back side. I have individual jigs for box joints now for my router table. I love doing them on the router.... ;) :) Now use that for some boxes and you are in the business... ;)

Kent Parker
07-14-2005, 9:38 PM
Great idea for the extra safety box in back of the fence.

I always think of sake when I see box joints. Is that wrong?

Cheers,

KP

Corey Hallagan
07-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Roy, I thought you said this was your first Jig? Man, that is great looking and working jig. You are all set. I was going to buy a commercial jig but I will give your jig a whirl! Thanks for posting! I expect you will soon be posting a completed fancy smancy box!

Corey

Roy Wall
07-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Roy, I thought you said this was your first Jig? Man, that is great looking and working jig. You are all set. I was going to buy a commercial jig but I will give your jig a whirl! Thanks for posting! I expect you will soon be posting a completed fancy smancy box!

Corey

Yes - first Jig...I"m looking forward to a CC sled ( which will cover pretty much the whole table. Just plywood, two runners, glue, and coarse drywall screws - generally right up my WWing alley:D It could be a lot fancier but I'll try this out for a while.

I imagine there are a few hundred creekers wondering where the inlay is:D ...I'm just happy it works:) A basic device for sure...

It's based on the sled from Kelly Mehler's table saw book -- and there's a new Taunton "table saw" book out that has one made by Lon Schleining.

I will add a plexiglass blade cover to within an inch or so of the back for another safety feature. Allowing room for the stock to slip down to the pin.

Please put a blade guard on the back!!! It's kinda scary seeing that dado blade come whizzing out from underneath if its not on there - watch your hands!! This is a must have!!!

Jason Tuinstra
07-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Roy, looks great and the joint appears to be nice and tight. Good for you! But the biggest question about jigs is, where are you going to store it? :D

Vaughn McMillan
07-15-2005, 4:49 AM
Nice jig, Roy. It's nicer than the one I've made that attaches to my miter guage. Seeing yours, I'm tempted to do one similar to it, with the registration board attached a bit more permanently. (I'm thinking slotted holes and knobbed screws into t-nuts, or something similar.) From there, it's not too big of step to add a home made micro-adjust on the registration board, using a 16- or 32-thread screw so you can easily tweak it side to side.

Thanks for the pics.

- Vaughn