PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Speedy 300 versus the Rayjet 300

Bob WrightNC
11-08-2014, 8:00 AM
So I went to the NBM show in Charlotte yesterday and priced the Trotecs. The difference between the Speedy 300 versus the Rayjet 300 was SIGNIFICANT and I went in fully expecting to buy the Speedy 300. Now, I'm don't see how I can buy the Rayjet but I need to know if you guys can tell me something I don't know about the Rayjet before I make the commitment. As I understand it the:

Rayjet runs at a slower inches per second - this isn't an issue for us as I think we'll be only using it partial days.

Rayjet doesn't have the option to use I-vision - or the optical eye for registration marks. Again not sure if this is a deal breaker.

There is a difference in the software - But job control and some of those features could be ganged in corel I was thinking.

Other than that, it's the identical machine as I understand it. Is there something I'm missing? Can those of you who have knowledge on this give me your opinions on the software/machine differences that I may be missing? This is an 80 watt machine and I just don't want to have any regrets when I pull the trigger.

Thanks Folks!!

Mike Null
11-08-2014, 8:28 AM
Bob

I've never owned or operated a Rayjet but my Speedy 300 is in its eighth year with only one week of down time to get the tube remanufactured. (approx $3000)

From what I've seen at the shows the Speedy 300 is a more robust machine besides being the fastest on the market. The speed will become more important as you develop your business and with 80 watts you can use most of that speed frequently.

The Job Control software is remarkable and is possibly the best software on the street.

I would solicit the opinion of Robert Tepper as he has had very good success with the Rayjet but I believe he is now considering a Speedy 300.

Bob WrightNC
11-08-2014, 8:39 AM
Mike, I talked with tech support who was there, as well as the sale manager and my local. All told me that the only difference in the machines was what I said above but in reality, I know there may be some differences in day to day use that I, as a newbie, couldn't pick up on.

Tough choice as I went in wanting the Speedy 300 based on comments on this forum and after looking at the universal and epilog yesterday. But it "looks" like the identical machine with a different logo but I don't know enough about the software to make a difference.

Thanks.

Scott Shepherd
11-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Bob, I have about as much experience with the Rayjet as you. I pulled the side off one at a trade show and looked around some. You are right, it is slower, it does not have the "Harsh Environment Kit", meaning the cabinet has some openings in it that allow debris to get into the working bits of the machine, so you have to do more housekeeping than on a Speedy. The Speedy comes with that kit which consists of special belt like covers that cover all the openings so nothing gets into the machine's important areas. Mechanically, I think it's the same cabinet, the same slides, etc, so it's still a really well built machine.

The difference, as far as I could tell is the software. The Speedy runs on Job Control X, and the Rayjet on something called "Commander" or something like that. I personally didn't like it, but that's because of how I use the laser. We tend to use a lot of the options in the software than most people don't because we're really more of a job shop than anything else, meaning we see a huge variety of things which causes us to have to dig deeper into the software than someone that might do the same things every day, or the same types of things.

Commander (or whatever it's name is) is a very basic, simply program that sort of asks you questions to get through the job. It's a step by step approach that makes it really easy to use for someone without a lot of experience. Job Control X, on the other hand, is a very powerful Job Control system that allows for some really productivity saving features to be used, but it's more involved than the Commander, so there's a larger learning curve, although the curve isn't large to get started.

It really depends on what you want to do with it and how you will use it. Quality wise, it's a great machine, so you're all good on that end. Just depends on how advanced you plan to get with things.

Ross Moshinsky
11-08-2014, 10:14 AM
I've posted this already in your other threads but, the Speedy and the Rayjet are of similar build quality. There are differences which allows one to achieve the higher raster speeds. I believe it's a lot on the computer/electrical side but also I believe there are a few "minor" physical differences. In the end, both machines are superior build quality to Universal and Epilog.

The software and speed is significantly different. The speed difference is cut and dry. One is very fast and one is industry standard. There is nothing wrong with the Rayjet software but it's the most basic "driver" out there. It doesn't have a lot of somewhat standard options and you can't do much tweaking as far as PPI, HZ, or anything along those lines. Will it work? Absolutely. Can you achieve similar quality to a Trotec, Univeral, or Epilog? Absolutely. In some circumstances will those other machines out perform the Rayjet because of their tuning ability? Absolutely.

Two examples of things I felt the Rayjet lacked.
1. The ability to do center center engraving natively. This is when you find the center of an engravable space and set that as the "center" and it figures out where the engraving should be done. In order to do this on the Rayjet, you have to do all the work in your design software. It will work fine but there is a reasonable chance you'll make a mistake inputting the numbers and then you're screwed.

2. The lack of PPI and Hertz control. You're buying an 60-80W laser. You're going to use it to cut things. It should have those controls so you can cut effectively. On the smaller models, it's not important. For example, I don't have it with my 30W laser and I don't miss it because it's not that important when cutting laminate plastic.

To me, the Rayjet is the best value machine on the market at the moment but it does have it's flaws.

Bob WrightNC
11-08-2014, 12:37 PM
I've requested a quote on the Speedy 300. Any other comments will be appreciated and Thanks again guys!

Steve Morris
11-08-2014, 12:49 PM
I believe the speed thing is due to the Rayjet being stepper motors and Speedy being closed loop servo. Quite significant technical difference in speed, control and cost.
Also explains why it needs different software as there seems to be no position feedback on the Rayjet it just relies on the head moving where its told but has no way to determine if it is actually there.

Bob WrightNC
11-08-2014, 1:18 PM
Boy, you guys are good. Didn't hear any of this yesterday. Great feedback!

Robert Tepper
11-08-2014, 5:13 PM
I have The Rayjet 300, 80 watt. The machine is a beast, runs 6 days a week. In 28 months it has been down for two days for maintenance. It is running as I type this. The job control software is very nice but I have managed to get by without it. It all depends upon what your needs are. I am an industrial engraver and rubber stamp shop. I do not do trophies or plaques that require pictures or items like that. I run Corel X6.

I do not feel that I shortchanged myself without job control. I am purchasing a Speedy 400 next year with both flex and CO2.

I can't say enough good things about Trotec or their support people.

Best of luck in our decision,
Robert Tepper

Bob WrightNC
11-08-2014, 5:40 PM
Thanks for your comments Robert. My wife and I were very impressed with the machine but I'm uncertain what we will do with it beyond what we are planning now and this may be a single machine purchase. Thinking hard on the Speedy. Thanks!

Robert Tepper
11-08-2014, 7:18 PM
If you can afford the Speedy, than do it, you will not regret it.

Trotec makes a great machine and has great support. Also, I have only had to call for help less than 10 times in 28 months. Most of the time it was me, only twice has there been a simple machine problem. The most important thing is to keep the machine very clean. Takes the sides off weekly and clean the components with a low power air gun. Clean your lens and mirror on a daily basis. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Robert Tepper

Bob WrightNC
11-09-2014, 4:21 PM
If you can afford the Speedy, than do it, you will not regret it.

Trotec makes a great machine and has great support. Also, I have only had to call for help less than 10 times in 28 months. Most of the time it was me, only twice has there been a simple machine problem. The most important thing is to keep the machine very clean. Takes the sides off weekly and clean the components with a low power air gun. Clean your lens and mirror on a daily basis. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Robert Tepper

My wife asked a good question today. Do you need another license for the software to run a second machine? (I haven't got the first one yet:))

Scott Shepherd
11-09-2014, 5:39 PM
Job Control comes with the laser Bob. No need to buy anything else. If you do buy another laser, you'll get another copy of Job Control. Each machine needs it own computer to run it, so that computer would have Job Control installed.

Bob A Miller
11-09-2014, 6:15 PM
Bob, I can't speak to the Rayjet, nor the 300. I admit to gulping a lot when I bought my speedy 400 but I cannot believe how well built the machine is.... I thought a lot about going for a 300 vs the 400, but the larger table has been a real blessing. I haven't regretted buying it after 8 months.

Also while no expert on the job control software, I have found it quite powerful & useful. I will also second the comments on Trotec support. Like other gave said, in the end it will be your budget & incoming business that govern what feels right for you.

Bob WrightNC
11-09-2014, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the information. Doesn't make much sense but I understand.

Scott Shepherd
11-09-2014, 8:55 PM
Thanks for the information. Doesn't make much sense but I understand.

Bob, it works like this. You have the laser, it's connected to a computer that runs the laser. The bridge from the computer to the laser, is essentially a software package that Trotec calls Job Control X. When you open JCX, it connects to the laser, shows the table, where the head is located, where each axis is located on the table, etc.

You design in something (CorelDraw, AutoCAD, etc.), you hit print, then you select the laser to print to. You open the preferences up for that "printer" and you set all the parameters for your jobs (speed, power, etc.). When you finish that and hit "print", it sends the job over to Job Control. You can have it put it in the queue automatically or go right onto the "plate".

If you were to purchase another laser, it would come with another copy of JCX. You only need, and can only use, one copy per machine, so having it on different computers doesn't do you any good.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Scott Shepherd
11-10-2014, 8:06 AM
Bob, I don't know where in NC you are, but if you have the need or desire to come spend some time around a 300, just let me know and we'll make arrangements. We're in Richmond, so it's not too far.